6

It wasn't because I felt sorry that she had to deal with something like that. She didn't scare me into saying it and I wasn't afraid of her, maybe her actions sometimes, but I needed to begin to believe her. We were in this together and we needed to start to trust each other if we wanted to escape soon. And quite possibly it was also because I started to admire her. "I promise."

Ever since I caught Jade talking to herself she's been more quiet and jittery. Of course she was still demanding and brave like she always has been but she just seemed to be bothered by the fact that I was there when she yelled to herself. Er, a thought?

For a couple days we've only been accompanied by a few people every now and then bringing in food or inspecting something. There hasn't been a group staying in or anything productive getting done. It only pushed me over the edge of worry and anxiousness.

With all the days of only being me and Jade for most of the time, I always wondered why I haven't been doing something productive with myself. For Gods sake I found out they used the same drug they had once used prior, I was somewhere far west from New York, they would kidnap other innocent teenagers, and we were going to be experimented on. I should've been running out in the wind the day I found out. They were capable of much more than I credited them, yet I stayed in the same exact spot with Jade.

Suddenly I jumped up from my skin when I heard rattling chains against the hard ground. The warehouse doors were opening and there was a group this time. Even though there was less than ten people, I was still a little nervous that they were going to do something to me, even Jade.

"Here we go." I heard Jade mumble under her breath. Her paranoid body turned to face the corner furthest away from the open, and shun everything out.

I only looked at her for a mere second before shuffling away from the open and pressing my face into a wall. A quick sneeze erupted.

"You're feeling better right?" I heard Jades foggy voice.

"Yeah I feel normal."

"That's good."

"No you get back here."

"I'm working over here."

"No you're not suppose to because..."

I drowned out the men's conversation by thinking of songs in my head and closing my eyes. They're pointless argument would resolve itself in the end but I was too annoyed with them to pay attention.

It was only after two songs I realized this was the first time a group was here. And that group was working. "Jade."

"Yeah?"

"What do you-" I stopped talking when I heard footsteps approach.

"Girl come here." I heard an aggravated voice. He was the one yelling that he was working over "here".

"No." Jade remained glued to her position.

"Don't start anything. Come here."

"And do what? Spread my legs open? Squeeze a stress ball while drawing my blood out? Fuck you you're not allowed to do anything to me yet."

It looked like Jades protest hit a nerve. Slowly with a firm voice he gripped the bars and demanded, "Come here."

With anger flowing through Jades veins, she snapped up and walked up to him with challenging eyes. "Is this good enough? You gonna cry if it isn't? What the fuck do you want?"

And then suddenly I was frozen to the floor watching in horror and shock as the man started to choke Jade and bash her head against the bars. Her hands found his as she scratched them off an inch before screaming loudly. The heads of everyone around turned before they all rushed towards the commotion.

"Let go we need her alive!"

"Get off of her right now before I take charge!" Another voice threatened. The man never stopped thrashing Jade around so I heard the cell door open and a groan.

One of the guys punched the one attacking Jade and the other was in the cell ripping Jade away from his grip. She started gasping for air and she just shook in place from the fear of almost dying. I thought that was the end of it but then Jade started yelling and running out of the cell to the man that hurt her. Alarmed, everyone started chasing her, leaving the cell door wide open.

It was so painful for me to stay here, especially when I had a happy life to get back to but I couldn't just leave Jade here. With all the decisions and sights to see, I became nauseous. Everyone started to run after her as she ran towards a knife. My heart dropped to my stomach as I realized I had to get out. Jade would do something stupid and they'd hurt us both. Maybe if I could just get out and breathe I could get us out of this. All I needed was for someone to find me and call the police.

Slowly but surely, I creeped out of the cell without being seen. As I inched to the door quietly, I turned around to see what was happening with all the grunts, screams, and frantic voices.

A loud yell from a man scared me and then it hit me that Jade stabbed him in the back. Blood was pulled out and stabbed back in multiple times. Her face was wet with sweat and red with hate and pleasure. The last time she stabbed him he fell to the ground and she let go. Everyone gripped her tightly as a sedative was shoved in her arm. No one seemed to notice I was gone.

Adrenaline pumped through me and without thinking, I ran outside as fast as I could. There was no one around and I had no idea where I was. All I cared about was leaving.

My sore feet padded the ground loudly as tears froze to my face. It was cold but soon enough I was burning up with fear. Images of what just happened flashed in my mind as a reminder of what I was running from. The more I thought about the events the faster I seemed to be running.

Soon enough I crashed into the ground. My chest heaved heavily as I was struggling to get air to flow regularly. My heart was hurting and I couldn't stop crying. This was a bad idea. I had to never be found and get help, warn my family to move out of New York and hide from society, and get everyone arrested or else this would turn out horribly. Jade was right.

Jade.

I needed to help her. She killed a man. There's no telling why would happen to her. With new determination, I pushed myself off the wet grass only to fall back down in pain. I felt weak in my body, and my heart was crumbling beneath. What was I going to do?

Rewritten January 17 2016.