Chapter 6: The Bluest Eyes

Noah

"So your place or mine?" Veronica asks.

"Actually .. I am very tired. Let's call it a night. We can hang out tomorrow," I casually suggest and secretly hope that she says no. Veronica doesn't seem hurt; that's what I really like about her - she doesn't act all crazy when I don't want to have her around. I take her home, but I am not ready to go back to my apartment. I sold my house (or actually the house Andy gave me) years ago and rented a small apartment next to Yale. It doesn't have any special furniture, since I am barely in it. I stop the car in the middle of nowhere and just sit in it.

What has just happened? My heart just stopped for a painfully long time. Why did I have to go to this pub? Why did I have to meet her? She looked absolutely stunning. Emma has the bluest eyes I have ever seen. I tried so hard to forget her eyes .. to forget her. But there she is messing with my head again. It was a mistake to come back. However, little did I know that I would run into Emma in Hartford; a city that she has never liked. Isn't she dating this rich guy? Was he with her? I didn't see him somewhere around her. Why is it still so hard for me to be near her? I haven't seen her in over two years and it still hurts like hell talking to her, let alone looking at her. Stop Noah. I am over her. I don't miss her, I am better off without her. We had a great time together - that is definitely true. But we didn't work ... and we only hurt each other. She played a huge part in my past, but not in my present and most certainly not in my future. As soon as this semester is over, I will be in Brazil teaching at the Federal University of Rio De Janeiro. I will be sitting in a café near the sea and I will read new books that I've bought before in a local book store. I will be feeling free and I won't think about Emma.

Better Off Without You (acoustic) - Becky Hill