Oliver (36)

"Damn.  Did not expect it to be this huge," namamanghang wika ni Cedric when we got our first view of the pitch.

"So, this is what a 12,873-seating capacity stadium looks like," Theo added as an afterthought. Abala siya sa pag-iikot ng kanyang tingin sa mga elevated seats and boxes bago napansin ang mga mata naming nakatutok sa kanya. Naiilang naman siyang napangisi at napahimas sa sariling batok. "Sorry.  Numbers stick in my brain."

"Nerd jock," pabirong akusa ni Cedric under his breath. Napangisi din ako doon while Theo gave us his stinkiest eye.

At first glance, Theo does not look like he belongs on a pitch. With his good boy image coupled with straight A grades and introverted beta-ish attitude, who would have thought that he can play an explosive game of soccer. He is a fucking amazing defensive midfielder and a hell of a playmaker. He wins us the ball an average of ten times per game and completes his assists 93% of the time. All of us are aware of his numbers.  He makes detailed analysis of his statistics after each game and makes it a point to inform us about it. Nerd nga kasi talaga.

Masama pa rin ang tingin niya sa amin ni Cedric.  "You forwards suck."  

And we did a fist bump to irritate him more.   Absolutely disgusted with the two of us, lumayo siya sa amin at tumabi kay Dmitri.  El Kapitan has been silently brooding and seething.  Parang wala pa rin siyang balita kung nasakyan ba ni Natalya ang flight nito o hindi and it must be making him absolutely crazy.  I just hope that whatever happens, ibuhos niya sa pagprotekta ng goal mamaya ang kung ano mang iniipon niyang sama ng loob ngayon.

Coach Sevilla brought all of our attentions back to the pitch when he started talking. "Walk the field of play.  Decide which cleats to use and inform our kitman.  Check for problem areas that we can discuss later. I-take advantage na natin ang stadium na ito habang tayo pa lang ang nandito.  The other team has played here before so we have some catching up to do.  This is why I packed you up on that bus and sent you here with more than three hours to spare, you lazy little bastards!"

The coach growled out the expletive which left most of us chuckling.  After a delicious and healthy pre-game meal prepared by the chefs at The Adriatico under the guidance of our team nutritionist, isinakay niya kami agad sa team bus at dinala dito samantalang alam naman naming may tatlong oras pa nga kami before kick-off.  A lot of my teammates were whining, while Coach pretended not to hear anything.  Obviously, he heard it all at ngayon nga ay minumura niya kami for that.  

After barking some more general instructions, tumalikod na si Coach and the rest of us spread out to check our respective zones.  Since I'm a winger, I jogged the length of the touch lines, trying to familiarized myself with distances from the sides to the center field line to the penalty boxes.   This is going to be my zone later and I have to psych my mind and body that I will be running the length of it back and forth for 90 minutes.  This is the first time I'm going to run on this field of play and it is always a good idea to have the feel for the terrain.  

Tonight's weather forecast is perfect for a finals cup match.  The skies will be clear with no hint of rain.  Pero siguradong babagsak ang temperatura pagpatak ng gabi.   I hope Sabrina brings a coat or a jacket or shawl or whatever that blanket-like thing is called.  She easily gets cold and I will not be there beside her to protect her from it.  Because of this worry, I'm now second guessing myself.  Should I have gotten her the club box seats like what I got for my parents?  

I looked at the field level seats closest to the midfield and smiled. Nah.  The seats I got for her are the best for the both of us.  I could get a glimpse of her, hopefully cheering for me and my team, while the match is going on.  Nothing beats that.