Oliver (70)

[Blind Tales] Hear ye, hear ye tattlers! The young emperor finally found her empress. Too young, you say? Not, according to the 'rents. We are waiting for official announcements. Remember, we told you first! Toodles, poodles!

[Royal Blind] A young Creosus.  A darling of the crowd heiress.  A match made in heaven?  The two Philippine royal family thinks so. But was it really arranged?  Can't it be a love match for once?  After all, we need a little bit of fairytalein our lives right about now, don't we?

"These are all loads of crap, Paige.  Bakit mo ba 'to pinagpipilitang ipabasa sa akin?  I'm already as busy as it is to indulge in gossip."

I had to move the cellphone away from my ear when the woman on the other line shrieked in frustration. Masakit sa tainga ang matinis niyang pagmumura. When I determined that my eardrums will be safe, muli akong nakinig sa sinasabi ng kababata ko. Mababakas sa boses niya ang gigil at inis.

"Open your TV to Channel 16 now," muli nitong utos.

Rolling my eyes heavenward asking to be blessed with more patience, I threw the iPad on my bed and turned the TV on. A replay of Paige getting ambushed for an interview by a bottle-blonde guy with a microphone occupied the screen.

"How is Oliver San Martin, Paige?" nanunukso ang tono ng lalaking nagtatanong. Paige covered her surprise and irritation quite well with a teasing smile. If I didn't grow up with her, I would have not noticed.

With a grin, she answered. "I don't know, Jimmy," ani niya. "Maybe lounging around at the Obsidian Towers while the rest of us, mere mortals, try to live out our days in peace and love?"

The interviewer answered with a chuckle. "Speaking of love. Rumor has it that wedding bells are ringing for the two of you."

Her eyes widened in mock surprise as I roll my eyes. Paano nga ulit naging laman ng balita ang mga ganitong chismis? How is this mockery of journalism fit for viewing?

"My, my, my. What big ears you have!" muling sagot ni Paige. Not a confirmation. Not a denial either.

"Galing mong sumagot dito," hindi ko maiwasang ikomento. That earned me a hiss over the phone.

Ipinagpatuloy ko ang panonood as Paige and the fake blonde interviewer banter playfully. I had to snort in disgust when the blonde reporter asked something about a wedding. Again. I rolled my eyes and turned the TV off.  I heard enough.

"Again, what am I supposed to do with these?" usisa kong muli kay Paige.

"Oliver! Listen! You have to move your lazy ass and find your Sabrina ASAP. My parents are starting to believe this fucking rumor. My mother is hinting at wedding gowns already! My god!"

"Didn't you say this is the perfect plan?"

"It supposed to be is!" she insisted. "This is not happening. All I wanted is to help. Tapos heto at mukhang maikakasal pa ako sa'yo ng wala sa oras."

"Isn't that what you wanted?" I asked, curiously. I am no longer the naïve boy Sabrina left behind. A part of me is wary that Paige's offer of help is not altogether innocent. That she might be working with my dear mother behind the scene.

"Ang matali sa isang lalaking iba ang mahal at kinababaliwan? No, thank you. You might be damn good in bed, Oli, but not good enough to make me give up on my own fairytale. I'm a princess and I deserve a prince. A prince who will feel the same way for me as you feel for your Sabrina. Ngayong nakita ko that it could happen, I will not settle for anything less than what Sabrina has!"