Oliver (34)

I glanced briefly at my wristwatch and found that it is just a quarter before nine in the morning.  Sakto lang pala ang dating ko.  Hindi pa nagsisimula ang mga early check-in rush.  

Carefully, I parked the BMW at my designated spot, bumaba,  at kinuha ang dalawang duffel bags mula sa back seat at dumiretso sa back entrance ng hotel.  Alisto naman akong binati ng mga guwardiyang nandoon.  I noticed one of them calling someone over his radio.  Malamang ay nagsumbong ito sa front office na nandito na ako.  My parents must have informed the Adriatico that I'm coming.  I sighed inwardly.  Too much for lying low today.  I readied myself for the bowing and scraping that is sure to come.  This is why none of my family members make it a habit to stay sa mga hotels na pag-aari namin.  Too much hassle dealing with the people. 

"Sir Oliver," nakangiti at magalang na bati sa akin ng isang may edad na lalaki na nakasuot ng uniporme ng The Adriatico.  Based on the design of the uniform, he must be a hotel butler. His next words confirmed my suspicion.  "You're room is being prepared.  If you would follow me, please?" 

Tahimik naman akong sumunod sa kanya papunta sa Lobby Lounge ng hotel kung saan niya ako pinaghihintay.  I chose a seat on one of the farthest table with one of the many circular columns of the lobby at my back.  I am facing the direction of the hotel's front desk and I can see my personal hotel butler talking with the people assigned there.  I signed for a bottle of water, which was given immediately provided for by one of the wait staff, and prepared myself to wait for the return of the hotel butler.

I looked around the lobby with renewed interest.  The last time I stayed here was for a family party magda-dalawang taon na rin yata ang nakakalipas.  While the the large circular columns and dome-shaped ceilings of the lobby remained, the color scheme, the wall displays, and the overall design underwent some major renovations.  Hindi na ito ang Adriatico of two years ago.  I have to give kudos to my mother the next time I speak to her. Her team of designers dragged this hotel into the current century.

Naputol ang pagmumuni-muni ko with Dmitri's arrival.  He dragged one of the chairs at pasalampak na naupo doon, eyes never leaving his mobile screen.  Sinulyapan niya ako and I arched an eyebrow at him enquiringly.  Sumimangot lang siya at muling binalikan ang pagtitipa ng kung ano sa cellphone niya.  He looks angry.  It is never good for the skipper to start a game day with a foul mood.

"Everything okay?"

Umiling lang ito at hindi ako sinagot.  Lalong lumalim ang gitla nito sa noo when his phone suddenly lit up and the beginning of a ringtone started.  He immediately swiped it and placed the phone by his ear.

"What the fuck were you doing na ang tagal mong sumagot?," Dmitri hissed at whoever is on the other end.  "Kanina pa ako tawag nang tawag sa'yo."

The longer Dmitri is listening to whoever is on the other side, the darker his expression becomes.  The forever calm, collected, and indifferent captain of the University of Saint James' soccer team, Dmitri del Rosario, flew into a towering rage.

"Get your ass on the bleachers, Natalya. I don't fucking care how you do it as long as you do it. So, I suggest that you plant your butt on that damn plane and be here for the fucking game!"

The way he was staring at his mobile phone, hindi na ako magtataka kung bigla na lang niya iyong itampal sa pinakamalapit na pader. That is how pissed off he looked. I just stared at him but he is busy tapping on his mobile phone again para pansinin ako.  

"Kuya," dire-diretso niyang wika nang may sumagot sa kanya. "Nasaan ka ba?  You're supposed to get your girlfriend on that damn plane papunta dito pero wala pa din siya sa airport ngayon! Where the fuck is she?"