Closed-Minded

(Reader's POV)

We were running, running, running. Running from who? James Fleamont Potter. He was currently trying to kill us for pranking him while we were running and desperately trying to explain to him that he started the prank. Severus and Lily were chasing us too, Severus because he was our victim and Lily because she hated acting like she liked Wormtail. Severus managed to speed up a bit and grab Peter's hood, so Remus, Sirius, and I decided to abandon Peter (No wonder Peter abandoned us in the future, amirite? Oops I broke the fourth wall).

"Get back here and help me!" yelped Peter.

"No can do, short squirt!" I laughed.

"I am not that short!" he yelled.

We continued running, and running and laughing our butts off! Suddenly, I tripped and landed on my chest. I made an "oof" like sound. Suddenly someone had their hand around my neck and I looked up. Bellatrix. I saw Lucius Malfoy pointing his wand at me.

"I'll let her go, but you have to make sure the rivalry between Gryffindor and Slytherin stays." Malfoy drawls.

"And you can't be friends with y/n!" Bellatrix squeals evilly.

"Not... friends with y/n?" Severus says, hurt.

"Yes." Lucius said, "You heard her.".

"I- I have to do it, sorry." Severus hung his head.

Bellatrix let me go and I stood up and brushed myself. Severus turned to look at me, sadly. I knew he had done it for my safety. It was a noble act for him to make. I hugged Remus sadly and we walked in silence towards our common rooms. I hadn't really lost Severus, but Lucius and his gang would make sure we despised each other. I can't believe what we did, we just gave in. 

"I thought we were Gryffindors, brave and daring. We shouldn't have let Severus go that easily. Or maybe Severus wanted to go..." I said to my friends when we were seated in the common room.

"He didn't want to go, Y/n. But we had to do it, for your safety." Remus sighed.

"Well we don't give up on you Remus, we don't give up during your transformations." I said to him, "And James, we never gave up on you to get Lily.".

"He hasn't got me yet." blushed Lily.

"Whatever, but the point is, we can't just let our friend slip away that easily. We let him down!" I said courageously.

"You know, you're right." Sirius stood up, "I wanted to be a Gryffindor because I knew I was brave, but what are we doing now?".

"But how are we gonna get him back?" Peter said uncertainly.

"Hmm..." James thought, "I have an idea.".

"What is it?" we asked.

"Well we'll have to go to extremes on this, we're gonna have to tell on the Slytherins in front of the whole school..." James mumbled.

"You used to do that a lot, what's so different?" I laughed.

"The fact that we have to tell the whole school and we're basically putting ourselves in danger because they're so powerful?" he chuckled.

"Well, we can still do it." I shrugged, "But we're gonna need you to explain more.".

"We can write a nice touching speech for everyone to hear. They'll know what the Slytherins did, we'll get Sev back and Dumbledore will put them in detention." James smirked.

"Putting them in detention does nothing though." Remus pointed out, "They wouldn't care.".

"But they will know that we shouldn't be messed with." James stated.

"We can try. I can write the script with Remus." I volunteered.

"We'll spread the message of being open-minded." James said, pointing between him and Lily.

"So are you making Peter and I a couple?" Sirius asked sarcastically.

"Guess so." I giggled.

~Time skip brought to you by Peter's acne~

We had prepared a speech and handed it out to our friends for them to rehearse. We told Dumbledore what we wanted to do, and he happily agreed. Hagrid patted us on the back and chuckled merrily, proud of what we were doing.

"Those bloody Slytherins deserve it." he said, "Rotten, the lot of em', am I right?".

"Actually, only a bit of them are rotten. A lot of them are delightful." I responded, slightly offended.

"Ho, ho, alright. But I'm glad you're tryna end the rivalry." he chuckled, patting our backs and ruffling our hair.

We got ready, all preparing to try and spread the peace. Peter was very timid, thinking of all the worse scenarios. I smacked Remus at the back of his head (lightly) when he refused to share his chocolate with Peter. I mean, chocolate calms everyone. In the end, Remus reluctantly gave Peter some chocolate, helping him calm down a tad bit.

We walked to the Great Hall and asked Dumbledore when we could come up.

"You can come up now, if you'd like." he smiled.

"Thank you, Professor." we replied politely.

We stood up, quite worried. I felt shaky, so I held onto Remus' arms for comfort and support. Students kept pouring in, and then, the last person was seated. I was dizzy at this point, I could hear Peter mumbling nonsense, he was very nervous.

"H-hello." I stammered.

Everyone was listening, rapt with attention.

"We're here to talk to you all about being open-minded." Sirius said calmly.

"Yes." I continued, "Hogwarts houses, especially Gryffindor and Slytherin, have been in a long rivalry for a long while.".

"But why? What's the point of all this fighting?" Remus continued.

"BECAUSE OF BLOOD STATUS." a Slytherin shouted at us.

"Blood status doesn't have to define us." James went on.

"We're all wizards and witches at the end of the day." I say wisely.

"We don't have to fight." Lily said, "We don't have to be friends, but we can treat each other with respect.".

"Should we still tell the school what Lucius and Bella did?" Peter whispered.

"No." I whispered back, "I changed my mind.".

He nodded and said to the crowd, "Respect and equality.".

"BOO!" shouted a Slytherin.

More boos followed, and they threw some food at us. We stood, surprised and shocked and humiliated. We didn't expect things to turn out that way.

"Enough." boomed Dumbledore.

A few more pieces of food were thrown and then it stopped.

"I suggest you go clean yourselves up." Dumbledore said sternly.

We quickly walked away, our heads down with embarrassment.

"That was horrid." gasped Lily.

"It's all my fault! I shouldn't have suggested that atrocious idea!" groaned James.

"Don't blame yourself, I was the one who said we should stand up for our beliefs." I mumbled.

"We should stand up for our beliefs." said Remus, "It's just that people are close-minded.".

We were incredibly humiliated. Why did Hogwarts have to be like this?

(A/n)

And y'all say you wanna go to Hogwarts :>