True Friendship

(Reader's POV)

We were having lunch, talking and chatting. It's still Boxing Day and we were talking about the presents we had just opened. After lunch, I decided to go read in the snow and let the boys have some boy time. I sat by the tree and read a classic, "The Tales of Beedle the Bard". I opened the book and started from the first page and a rush of nostalgia cam back. I remembered the times when my older cousin would come and bring this book. We would read together with his and my siblings and our other cousins and my little... cat... and we'd read together. I decided to smile at the memory instead of cry. I started to read, and I got very engaged with the stories. I finished the book in less than ten minutes and shut the book and stood up. 

I felt quite bored so I decided to join the boys. I went looking for them when I heard voices shouting in the corridors. I was disappointed that people were shouting and fighting. It was Boxing Day after all, and I hoped people would be more united. I walk slowly and cautiously, not wanting to join the fight. I slowly peeked around the corner, putting my hair back so they wouldn't know someone was spying on them like a creep. My eyes widened and I knew I had to protest against the fight. The boys were back at bullying Severus when I tried to tell them not to.

"JAMES. SIRIUS. REMUS. PETER." I shouted, "What on Merlin are you doing?!".

"Er-" Peter started.

"You know, what I don't even wanna hear your explanation." I fumed.

"WELL WE DON'T WANNA SEE YOUR DAMN FACE, Y/N!" James shouted angrily, "IF YOU WERE OUR FRIEND, YOU'D AGREE WITH WHAT WE DO.".

"Well, if that's what you consider friends to be then you're no different from my old friends. I was just trying to help you become better people." I whispered menacingly.

I turned around covered my face with my hand and started crying, I ran around the corner when I heard clomps behind me.

"Y/n!" it was Severus.

I stopped in my tracks, knowing he didn't do anything wrong.

"I'm so sorry, y/n." he said kindly, "You didn't have to stand up for me...".

"Well, I wouldn't be a true friend." I smiled sadly.

"... Thank you, y/n, you really are a true friend." he thought, "C'mon, let's clean you up.".

He hugged me while we walked to the Gryffindor common room. The paintings whispered and pointed, most likely, confused or even disgusted that a Gryffindor was with a Slytherin. We didn't care, he was my friend for a long time and we weren't gonna let houses ruin our friendship.

He shut his ears, "Say the password, I won't listen.".

I said the password in a voice quieter than usual. I didn't want to whisper because that would seem like I didn't trust Severus.

"Thank you, Sev." I hugged him.

"No worries, stay safe. If the Marauders hurt you, tell me. I'm not letting anyone hurt one of my best friends." he said confidently.

"I will." I grinned, "Bye, Sev. You better stay safe too.".

"Mhm." he hummed.

I stepped through the portrait hole and into my dorm. I went into the toilet and washed my face, not wanting to let anyone know I cried. After cleansing my face, I walked over to my luggage and dug around for another book I had bought in the bookstore in Hogsmeade, Tomes and Scrolls. I found a book that looked very interesting indeed and brought it downstairs to the common room. It was nearly empty except for a few first years playing Gobstones and fifth years playing wizard chess. I sat in the armchair closest to the fireplace, opening the book. I sniffed the book, I loved the smell of new books. As I was reading, four familiar voices entered. I groaned mentally, how fortunate. They stopped talking when they spotted me and their footsteps drew closer. I pretended not to have noticed them and continued reading, flipping over to a new page when I finished the first.

"Er, y/n." Sirius mumbled.

I didn't answer and pretended I was so engaged in my book.

"Y/n..." James said guiltily.

I shut my book, and looked them furiously in the eye, "Oh hey look, I didn't notice you, I guess that's because I shouldn't waste my energy on FAKE friends.".

"We're sor-." Remus reached out.

I flinched away from them, "I don't want apologies from frauds. Is it just my luck or are all the friends that are seemingly good turn out to be fake, besides from Severus, Lily, Marlene and Alice?".

"No-." Peter squeaked.

"No what Peter? Because apparently it seems so." I stormed out of the common room, earning disapproving looks from the fifth years and sorry and scared faces from the first years. 

I entered my dorm and lay on the bed, tearing up.

"Why can't I have proper friends!" I groaned.

There was a knock on the door, whom I assumed to be the boys.

"Y/n..." Remus said softly.

"Remus, just because we're dating doesn't mean I'm treating you any different from the others. You keep bullying my best friend, Severus and don't do anything to stop it!" I groaned.

There was an uncomfortable silence and then Remus spoke up, "We wanted to apologize.".

"Oh my Merlin!" I exclaimed exasperated, "Didn't I specifically tell you that I didn't want to hear it?".

"Well, we'll give you space..." Remus sighed in defeat.

I heard his footsteps grow faint as he walked away from my room.

Why can't I have proper friends?

(A/n)

Oooh la la, the drama. Oh well, James, you hothead, learn your morals young man.

Question: Do you think they'll stop bullying Sev?

HOPEFULLY DOE. (pun intended)