His expression remained stony, but there was a glimpse of pain behind his blue eyes, one he refused to express openly. 

Her smaller hand traveled over his in the best attempt at comfort she could muster. "I'm sorry." She was not good at this and was sure this sounded just as awkward as it felt. None of the emotions she felt were fake, though. She really wanted to make him feel better.

Layton scoffed as he tore his hand away from hers. "Don't be. I brought it upon her." He looked at her, cold smirk on his lips. "You don't know anything about me. I don't need your pity." She stumbled back when he suddenly stood up, his six foot tall frame easily towering over hers. 

"I was not pitying you!" Catherine stood tall, not intimidated by his sudden outburst. They were quite similar when it came to being defensive. "Look, I might not get how it is to lose a parent and I am sorry about that, but I don't pity you. I envy you." She stopped, realizing what she had just said. 

The taller man looked down at her, the wrath replaced by cat-like interest. "Envy me?" 

"I didn't....mean to say that." Catherine groaned.

"Too late, explain." Layton demanded, folding his arms as he waited for her answer. 

She felt put on the spot. Like a cornered animal, her eyes scanned her surroundings for a way out, only to find none. Her heartbeat picked up. He had caught her off guard and now the sky--high walls were beginning to crumble. 

"You have everything I don't. Money, power, decent childhood." Catherine begun, "I have never had that. Other kids got home to return to, I had my drug dealer as a lover." She laughed bitterly. 

"I'm envious because the only luxury I had, was another dose and bad romance with a sick man who was only using me." The words poured from her lips before she could stop them. Tears begun to form in her eyes despite her attempt at stopping them. Her hands balled into taunt fists, her head lowered to avoid looking at him. 

Silence settled among the two. It was heavy, torturous. She felt ashamed. If the ground opened and swallowed her, she would be thankful. 

I'm such an idiot...I shouldn't have said anything...He doesn't care. he will laugh-

Her thoughts were silenced by sudden warmth enveloping her. Suddenly, her face was buried in broad chest and a comforting hand rested on the back of her head. Long fingers traced the loose strands gently. Layton's strong arms held her in firm embrace. It spoke louder than words ever could. 

Her heart performed a back flip, butterflies exploding in her stomach. Slowly, her hands raised, wrapping around him. Perhaps she was being clingy, but she didn't care. All that mattered was his warmth and delicate caress. 

Layton's chin rested on the top of her head, his eyes closed. They were like fire and ice. She was his spitfire. Stubborn, foul mouthed and possibly the only woman capable of yelling at him. At first it had been annoying, but now, he preferred that over the pained look on her face. 

There was no telling how long the two remained frozen, lost to each others touch. It could be a second or an hour before Layton broke the silence. 

"I erased my mother's memories...." He murmured, his voice a low whisper. "She was lost to sin, devastated by my father's actions. It was better for her not to know, to start over. She was suffering with her child having born as a sin." 

Catherine pulled away slightly to look into his eyes. 

"She was stained by me and I don't want to do the same to you." His hand brushed back her hair, caressing her cheek like it was a delicate flower.