6|take a stand

"Ok you two, so here's the deal for tonight," Tori, Tom and Zendaya's manager, started to say.

"Rumors have started recirculating after the whole 'leather jacket ordeal', so press is going to be all over you two tonight at the award show. If you really want to get rid of all of the rumors you guys need to stay away from each other. All night."

Zendaya and Tom looked at each other. They were sitting across from each other, Z's hand resting on top of Tom's.

"Ok," Zendaya said, nodding. "We can do that. Right, Tom?"

Tom raised his eyebrows, then looked over at Tori and nodded as well.

"Yeah, that's fine," he painfully agreed.

Except, he was lying. It wasn't fine, and Zendaya knew it.

Tonight was going to be one of the biggest nights of Tom's career and life.

He was up for several awards tonight.

Best Actor for Cherry, Best Animated Film for Onward, Best Stunts for Spiderman: Far From Home, Best Supporting Actor for Avengers: Endgame, as well as Best Action Film for Spiderman: Far From Home.

To say that Tom was honored, would be a complete understatement.

He was in complete and utter disbelief and while he was incredibly excited, he was equally as nervous.

He needed Zendaya with him tonight more than anything.

She would help calm his nerves, pat his back if he lost, and cheer him on if he won.

He wanted to share this night with her more than anything. But he couldn't. And that crushed him.

It upset Zendaya too.

But, Zendaya wanted them to stay private and he wanted to respect her wishes.

"Alright, that's all I have. I'll see you guys tonight," Tori said, grabbing her stuff and preparing to leave.

"I'll walk you out," Tom told her.

He followed behind her as she got up and made her way to the door.

When he returned back to the kitchen, Zendaya was grabbing them both a snack.

She passed him a carton of yogurt and sat next to him.

"So? How're you feeling about tonight?" she asked a silent Tom.

"It's gonna be a long night," he sighed, getting up and taking his yogurt to his room.

"Zendaya! Zendaya over here!"

"Right here, Zendaya!"

"Yes! Beautiful!"

Zendaya batted her eyes and smiled as hundreds of reporters called her name on the red carpet.

She couldn't wait to step off and figure out where Tom was.

She knew what their manager had said. Stay away from each other. For the whole night.

That's what they needed to do if they wanted to keep at least a little bit of their lives private.

But, even if she couldn't act like it tonight, Tom was still her boyfriend and she cared about him deeply.