16|just another cliché

"What time tomorrow?" Zendaya asked through the phone.
"I'll pick you up at 5:30?" Tom proposed.

"Woah, 5:30's kinda early for a dinner date, don't you think?"
"We've got a lot on the agenda," Tom informed.

"Oh really?" Zendaya inquired.
"Yup," Tom replied.
"So more than just dinner...?"
"You should stop while you're ahead," he warned "i'm not telling you anything until tomorrow."

"Not a single thing?"
"Z!" Tom started, before Zendaya cut him off.
"Alright, alright, never mind," she surrendered. "Tomorrow better be amazing though. I turned down a lot of people for you, Thomas."

Tom felt like he could feel Zendaya smiling on the other side of the phone. This put a smile on his face too.

"Did you really?" he questioned.
"Oh yeah," she teased "I had tons and tons of suitors."
"I imagine the lines were out the door," Tom added, playing into the joke.
"DMs flooded!" Zendaya cried.

Laughter was coming through both ends of the phone. Although the conversation was easy and light hearted, Tom still felt a bit nervous.

He knew that Zendaya was telling the truth no matter how much sarcasm was laced in her voice and how funny she was trying to be.

She was highly sought after. This is something that Tom was aware of. Why wouldn't she be? She's Zendaya for crying out loud!

Zendaya must've picked up on Tom's sudden change in demeanor because as soon as she realized he had stopped laughing, she changed her tone.

"But, I still chose you," she reassured.

Hearing those words allowed Tom to let out an audible breath of relief.

She had chosen to go out with him.

This calmed him down a bit. It still didn't stop him from being nervous about how tomorrow would play out, but at least for now it made him a little less anxious and reminded him why he worked so hard to make tomorrow perfect.

He wasn't quite sure why she chose to go out with him, but he wasn't about to blow his shot.

"I better get going," Zendaya announced.
"Alright," Tom said, sad to see her go, but relieved because he was too in his own head right now.
"5:30?" she confirmed.
"Yup," Tom verified.

"Okay, perfect," she said "well, I'll see you then."
"Zendaya?"
"Yeah?"

"Tomorrow's gonna be great. I promise," Tom told her.
"I'm sure it will," Zendaya said, brandishing a smile she wished Tom could see.

Tom stood outside of Zendaya's door anxiously waiting for the clock to hit 5:30. He had arrived fifteen minutes early because he didn't want to be late. That would be a bad way to start what he had promised would be a great date.

When it was finally time, Tom stepped to the door and gave it a firm knock. Zendaya opened it almost instantly. Maybe she was ready early too. Tom chuckled at the thought of that.

She greeted him with a radiant smile. She wore a sleek, dark green dress with her hair down and parted to the side. She topped the look off with her favorite pair of black Louis Vuitton's.

"Wow, Z, you look absolutely stunning," Tom said in awe.
"You don't look too bad yourself, Thomas," Zendaya commented as she admired his classic black tuxedo.