17|my friend till the end

"Ooo, what about basketball? Or maybe one of the more creative clubs if you're not into sports," Tom pitched to his daughter on the way to school.

Gianna sat in the backseat with her eyes cast out the window. Her legs were crossed and her hands folded together. Even in her father's car, a place that was safe, she made herself small.

Tom continued listing off his ideas.

"There's gardening club, pottery, dance team," he said. "The list goes on. I just really think you should try and get involved somehow. Maybe it'll help you make some friends?"

Gianna was quiet. Tom peaked at her through his rear view mirror. He could hardly see her.

"Love?" he questioned.
"I heard you, Dad," she told him, still staring out the window. Her voice was soft, with just a hint of frustration. This wasn't the first time a conversation like this had been brought up.

Greyson, Gianna's older brother, turned around and glanced at her from his spot in the front seat. He let out a sad sigh.

Although she was reserved, Greyson understood Gianna. Or at least, he had always made an effort to. More so than his parents, who were less interested in getting to know her for who she was and more focused on trying to get her to become someone they could better comprehend.

Greyson wanted what was best for his sister and if his parents said that was more friends, then he wanted to believe they were right, but he knew it was important not to push her. He wanted to protect her.

When Tom pulled up in front of the school, Gianna couldn't have hopped out of the car faster. She delivered a quick goodbye and slammed the car door shut.

Greyson grabbed his bag and opened the car door. He looked over at his dad before getting out.

"Go easy on her," he told his father. Then, he ran to catch up with his sister.

"Gia!" Greyson called running up to Gianna. She stopped walking and turned to face him. "Don't put too much pressure on yourself to make friends, ok? You'll find your people when you find your people. Kids who like you for you and nothing else."

Gianna gave him a small smile. She could always count on her big brother to stick up for her or boost her mood.

She nodded and headed towards the sixth grade classrooms. Her brother watched her walk off, then he departed in the direction of the eighth grade classrooms.

Zendaya sat at the kitchen counter, surveying some new looks Law had put together for an upcoming award show. She swiped through the photos and sketches on her iPad as she sipped some tea.

Tom entered the kitchen and caught her attention.

"Hey, baby," she said as he greeted her with a kiss on the side of the head. "How'd drop off go?"

"It was fine," he reported. He grabbed an apple and stood across from her at the counter. "I don't think I'm getting through to Gia though."

"Give it some time. You know how shy I was as a kid," Zendaya said. "She'll find something for her and then hopefully after that everything will fall into place. For me it was theatre, that's where I made some really close friends as a little girl."

"I just feel like we're not doing enough. We need to get her more involved. I don't want her to fall behind socially," Tom admitted. Zendaya rose from her chair and came to his side. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders.
"Tom..." she said "Gianna will be fine. Go easy on her."