PART 4: Maid of Horror - Chapter 4

Maid of Honour's log

Maid of Honour's log. Still. Day. Bloody. Six. I may live out here on the balcony forever, now. Or at least for the next three days, until I can finally kick them all out of my flat and have the place to myself again. Although currently unsure if I kick Kim out, I'll ever see her again, the way today is going. Despite all of us being in each other's way all week, and currently being stuck under the same roof, has become impossibly easy to avoid my best friend for the entire day.

"Knock-knock?"

I jump, pulling out my earphones and twisting around as I'm joined on the balcony. I'm working a little later than usual – partly because I've been avoiding going back inside while my laptop's still got battery, and partly because I might as well try to make up for the work I've been failing to focus on for most of the day.

I close my laptop, hugging it to my chest as Kim steps outside.

"Brought you some tea," she says, rather unnecessarily, given that she's holding two mugs. She passes me one of them over and then slides the door shut before taking a seat. "Addy's making pasta for tea. Chicken and pesto. She said she found some garlic bread in your freezer, too, if you don't mind us using it."

"Yeah, sounds... sounds good."

We both sit in silence for the longest of minutes. I watch clouds creep by, and some people pass on the pathways below. I listen to Kim keep taking a big breath, ready to say something, and every time, she lets it back out – quiet and shaky and defeated.

We cave at the same time.

"Kim listen –"

"Liv, I didn't –"

We both fall silent, and both try again – still at the same time.

"I really didn't mean –"

"I shouldn't have said –"

Kim falters when I stop talking to let her finish, and her lips twitch before breaking into a nervous smile.

It's like a weight off my shoulders, seeing her smile: I know all is forgiven.

"I really am sorry," I tell her. "I know how stressed you've been about the wedding, especially with all... all this going on..." I sweep my hand in an all-encompassing gesture out at the view. "I honestly didn't mean to upset you so much, saying it might all have to... be, um..."

Kim sighs, crossing her legs and slumping in her chair. Her usual curls have turned into one big, frizzy mess. It's less hair and more of a mane, right now. There's still a smudge of black under her eyes where she hadn't quite managed to scrub off yesterday's mascara, after all the crying. Her face is puffy and pale, her eyes bloodshot.