42

Tsukishima Kei's POV

"The stars are out tonight," [Name] said as she looked at the night sky.

"Yeah," I said, pushing her wheelchair.

"And it's about to get a lot brighter," she added.

Today, there was a report of a meteor shower occurring around nighttime. [Name] insisted that we should watch it.

"Let's sit there," [Name] said, pointing at one of the benches in the park.

"Okay," I said.

I stopped her wheelchair just beside the bench.

"You need help getting up?" I asked.

"A little," [Name] said, scratching the back of her head.

"Hold my hands."

[Name] took both of my hands in her own and stood up. Slowly, we took a few steps to the bench.

"Thank you," she said as she took a seat.

I took a seat right next to her and looked up. The night sky was clear and the stars were really visible tonight.

"Kei," [Name] said, leaning against my shoulder. "A falling meteor is a shooting star, right?"

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"Nothing."

[Name] grabbed my hand with hers and intertwined them together.

"Do you think that wishing on a falling meteor is dumb?"

"I think a lot of things are dumb," I said. "But I won't judge you if you believe in wishes."

I looked at [Name] and saw her smile, making me smile softly as well.

"Kei, when you look into the future, how far do you imagine it?"

"Not too far," I replied.

"So, you haven't thought of life after college?"

"Not really," I told her. "If anything, I don't mind how it's gonna be."

"Do you think I can fit in your future?"

"I'd prefer if you were in it."

"Me too," she said.

The two of us looked to our right as we heard a faint tune of a melody echoing in the streets.

"It must be that old married couple dancing again. They're so happy," [Name] said with a smile on her face. "I want to be like them."

"Old, married, and dancing?" I asked with my eyebrow raised.

[Name] giggled and said, "Well, that? Sure. But the happy part more. Not that we're not happy! I mean, they act like they don't care about what happens next."

I knew what she meant. Even if things were okay right now, we both knew that tomorrow might not be the same. But still, we both hope it will. It doesn't help though because even with hope, we're both still always on the edge— scared of what'll happen next.

We both don't know if she'd even reach that age— both the marrying age and getting old— but we both wish she would. We both wish for a future where we're still beside each other.

"Well," I said. "I can't give you two of those, but right now, I can make you happy while dancing with you."

"Huh?"

I stood up from the bench and held out my hand for her.

"But, I don't think I can stand long enough, much less dance."

"Then hang onto me."

[Name] smiled at me and placed her hand on mine. I carefully pulled her up and led both of her hands to my shoulders. She connected both her hands and wrapped her arms around my neck.

Slowly, we took little steps— dancing to the faint melody ringing through the streets.

"Don't let go," I said.

"I won't," she replied with a smile.

[Name] leaned into my chest and started humming to the song. I only listened as I continued to slow dance with her.

"Remember when we had a dance during our third year?" she said.

"Yeah," I said, chuckling as I remembered how she couldn't dance before. "You had no experience at all with slow dances. You looked like an idiot dancing."

"Hey!" [Name] said. "I didn't have time to think about dancing."

"But you had time to obsess over volleyball?"

"We call that priorities, Kei."

"I still can't believe you managed to give up volleyball," I said.

"Well, I had other priorities after that."

"And that is?"

"Getting as much time as I can and spending most of them with you," [Name] said, looking up at me.

"How's that priority going for you?" I asked.

"So far? It's nice."

I only smiled and let her go back to her humming.

"Oh," I said. "The meteor shower started."

Once I said that, [Name] turned her head and looked up at the sky.

"They're like a hundred shooting stars," [Name] said as she stared at the countless meteors falling. "That means there's also a hundred wishes they're willing to give."

I chuckled as she continued to stare at the sky with a smile on her face.

"Is that so?" I said. "Do you want to make a wish?"

"Mm!"

[Name] turned to me and smiled softly.

"I wish that all our dreams will come true. I wish that things will always be this peaceful. I wish that we'll always be this happy."

I smiled back at her as I placed my hand on her cheek.

"Me too," I said. "I wish that things will never change."

[Name] only hummed as I placed a kiss on top of her head.

"I love you, Kei."

"I love you too."

I felt [Name] suddenly put more of her weight on me.

"Ah!" she said. "My legs hurt."

"Let's get you back to your wheelchair."

I placed one of my hands on her back as I scooped her up and walked to her wheelchair.

"I have one more wish," [Name] said as she leaned to my chest. "I wish I can stand longer and dance with you."

"If you want to dance, I can just give you support like earlier."

"But, I don't want to always rely on you. I'm already bothering you too much. I wish my legs would go back to how they were before."

"Idiot," I said as I placed her down on her wheelchair. "I don't mind if you always rely on me."

I crouched in front of her, making her look down at me.

"Like I told you, I'm okay with how things are now. All I wish is for it to stay this way," I added.

[Name] gave me a smile before saying, "Thank you. For staying with me."

"I'll never leave you."

[Name] giggled before looking up again. "Do you think they'll grant all those wishes?"

"You did say that the meteor shower has at least a hundred wishes. I'm sure they'll be generous enough to grant some."

"They better," she said, giggling.

But there's one thing we forgot.

You should never say your wishes out loud. Or else they won't come true.