03

Tsukishima Kei POV

I think it has been a week since I agreed to what she wanted but still, she's had no progress. Until now, I guess.

[Surname] was walking with us despite the fact that their practice ended earlier than ours and her house was the complete opposite from where we were waking. She told us that she was practicing her serves after their practice and since she had to head to her aunt after school, she decided to walk with us.

The part where she practiced until late was something I believed but the second part? Not so much. First of all, it was the middle of the week and yet she was suddenly visiting a relative that was far from her house. Also, it was really late. She would arrive at her aunt's at what time already.

"This is where I separate from you and Tsukki. Goodbye!" Yamaguchi said, waving at us before walking away.

"Bye!" [Surname] said while waving in a very fast manner.

"You're a little too excited to see your crush walk away," I commented.

"U-Um." [Surname] looked away as she scratched her head. "It was awkward to walk right next to him and not say anything. The least I could do is send him off happily."

"Do you really have someone you're going to visit or did you just say that to walk with Yamaguchi?" I teased.

"Hey! I really need to go somewhere!" she said, pouting-- probably because I said how she might be making it up to spend time with Yamaguchi.

"Sure," I teased. "How are you gonna go home then?"

"My parents will pick me up."

"Why do you need to go to your aunt in the middle of the week?"

"I have to get something from her," she said.

"Couldn't it have waited though? Or have someone else pick it up?"

"No," she said. "It's something personal so I need to be the one to get it."

It was still off but I decided not to push the topic any further. She also looked a little uncomfortable with it so I decided to stop. Sure I was an insufferable jerk at times, but I had limits to some people. Some people.

[Surname] kept looking up at the sky as silence came to us. Her eyes kept moving as if her mind was drifting away. She didn't look completely happy. It was like a mix of happiness and melancholy.

I often had a good grip on people. Like who they are and such. I guess you can say I have the habit to read people. It wasn't that hard to do so especially when people are very expressive. She, however, was confusing. It wasn't that she was faking her happiness. She was indeed happy at times but still, there was a sense of sadness that loomed over her from time to time.

It was something I was able to pick up from the short time I was able to be around her.

"Do you really think I can get closer to Yamaguchi-kun?" she asked.

"At your pace? It'll take years, but yeah."

"Years? I don't think I can wait that long." She gave a short chuckle as she looked down and kicked the pavement.

"[Surname]," I started. "What do you like about Yamaguchi?"

"Huh?" She looked at me with a surprised face. "Sorry, that just surprised me."

[Surname] pressed her lips together and looked like she was making a list of why.

"First, I guess I really find him as a cute person. From what I've seen, he's also a good friend. I'm just drawn to him, I guess. Also, I like watching him play volleyball."

"Play volleyball?" I asked.

From what I remember, the only time she's watched us play was when we had that practice match with each other. Yamaguchi wasn't playing that time.

"When have you seen him play?" I asked.

[Surname] giggled, confusing me more.

"You don't remember me, huh? Well, I understand," she said.

"What?"

I tried to remember the first time I saw her. The farthest I can remember was when we had our first class for the school year. Other than that, I've never seen her anywhere else.

"I guess I can understand why you don't remember me," she said. "During middle school, I had glasses. I only bought contacts recently."

"Middle school? Have I ever ran into you during middle school?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.

"We went to the same middle school, Tsukki!"

"We did?"

I never saw her.

I tried to remember if I ever saw a schoolmate with [h/c] hair and [e/c] eyes with glasses during my middle school.

"We did!" she said.

"I don't think we ever became classmates. If we were, I think I'd remember someone as annoying as you."

"We were," she said, looking at me with the most annoyed look ever. "For a year. But, I was really quite then."

"You? Quiet? You're joking. Also, I don't think I've ever heard your name before this school year. Shouldn't your name at least be familiar since they take attendance?"

"It was because I wasn't often in class," she said, giggling.

"A former delinquent?" I teased.

"No!"

"Delinquent or not, I'm surprised you made past middle school. Why were you even absent a lot?"

"Secret," she said, placing her finger against her lips.

I clicked my tongue. It wasn't really a big thing. I was just a little annoyed that I didn't get answers. It's not that I wanted to know her more. It was my curiosity coming in.

"So you saw him play during middle school and you liked him after that?"

"Basically," she said, grinning.

"You liked him since middle school?"

"Not really," she said. "I noticed you two during middle school but since I've never been classmates with him, I didn't really get to know him that much."

She sighed as she continued to walk. "Honestly, I don't care if he doesn't like me back since I don't think my feelings towards him are that deep yet. I just really want to get closer to him."

"Why now?" I asked.

"Why not?" she replied, grinning.

"That's some bad reasoning," I said.

"Who said I should have a good reason on why I want to be closer to him?" she said. "Anyways, here's where I take a turn."

[Surname] smiled at me as she waved goodbye. She immediately turned and started walking away.

I continued looking at her retreating figure as I tried to make sense of the situation. She told me she was going to her aunt and yet, she's heading to a place that had no subdivisions or whatsoever.

Where was she really going?