36

Tsukishima Kei's POV

Right now, I was sitting beside her on the hospital bed. In front of us was a laptop—my laptop— on the overbed table. [Surname] had asked the whole team to come by her room. While waiting, we decided to watch a movie— a promise I made to her that we'd do together.

As agreed, [Surname] and I were watching a movie of her choice. When I told her to pick the movie, she didn't have to think it over. She was able to pick one immediately— Howl's Moving Castle, a Studio Ghibli movie. Apparently, she picked that because she had a crush on Howl since she was eight— our age when the movie came out.

"He's so handsome, isn't he Tsukki?" [Surname] said, gushing over the male protagonist. "Howl only got more handsome once his hair turned dark."

I furrowed my eyebrows as I watched her cover her smile. I rolled my eyes as I heard her squeal.

"Dark-haired people are so attractive," she said. "Black-haired Howl over blond Howl."

"I think him being blond suits him more," I said.

"You're only saying that because you're blond yourself!"

"So what if I am?" I said.

"Don't worry Tsukki!" [Surname] said, patting my head. "I think blond suits you, unlike Howl. Dark-haired Howl still looks better than you though."

She grinned at me as I gave her a confused look.

"Is that a compliment or an insult? I can't tell the difference," I said.

"I'm joking Tsukki!" [Surname] said, the smile still on her face. Before talking again, she faced the screen. "I think you look better than Howl. Don't tell him that though. I don't want someone putting an enchantment on me."

I looked away from her with my hand on my mouth as I tried to stop the heat from rushing to my cheeks.

"Tsukki," [Surname] said. "If I was cursed to be old, do you think you'd recognize me?"

"Why wouldn't I recognize you? And why would anyone curse you with that?"

"I don't know," she said, shrugging her shoulders. "But, I actually want to see myself as an old lady."

"Why?"

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that they wanted to turn old. But then again, I've never been close with anyone who seemed like they were playing a game of tug and war against life and death.

"Because," she said, leaning against my shoulder with a small sad smile on her face. "That might be the only time I get to see myself get old."

I frowned when I heard that. The most annoying part? I couldn't say that she'd surely have a chance to see herself grow old because I myself didn't know if she would.

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Before everyone started arriving, I stood up from the bed and leaned against the wall instead. Right now, almost everyone was here. The first to arrive was Yamaguchi who was soon followed by Shimizu-san who was with Yachi, Kageyama, and Hinata. The next to arrive after them were Tanaka-san and Noya-san. Azumane-san arrived by himself. Ennoshita-san, Kinoshita-san and Narita-san arrived soon after. The only ones left who weren't here were the captain and vice-captain.

"Sorry! Sorry! We got a little later than planned," Suga-san said as he entered the room with Daichi-san.

[Surname] smiled at them as the two took a seat on one of the seats. Suga-san closed the door before taking a seat himself.

"So, [Surname], why did you ask for everyone to come here today?" Daichi-san asked.

I watched [Surname] as she held her hands together and rubbed her thumbs against each other. I narrowed my eyes as I realized that she was nervous about something. But I didn't know what.

"I just wanted to thank each and every one of you for everything. The short time that we spent with each other is something I'd always treasure in my heart. Thank you for letting me be your manager," she said.

"Why are you talking as if you're leaving, [Surname]?" Hinata asked.

I saw her take a deep breath in and look at everyone with a small smile before looking at her hands.

"The thing is I might. I actually don't know."

Everyone reacted to that, loudly. Yamaguchi only looked at me as if asking if it was true. When he saw me only look down as an answer, I know he knew what that meant.

"Isn't there something we could do about it?" Suga-san asked.

"I've already lost my ability to walk. At this point, there's only much I could do. I could take risks and such, but I still don't know if they'll work."

"[Surname]-chan!" Tanaka-san and Noya-san shouted with tears streaming down their cheeks. From what I know, other than me, Yamaguchi, and the other managers, the ones close to [Surname] are Noya-san, Tanaka-san, and Hinata.

"D-Don't cry,"[Surname] said as she waved her hands in front of her. "If you keep crying, I'm gonna start crying as well!"

I could hear her voice start to crack, telling us that she really is gonna cry.

"[Surname]-chan," Yachi said, crying as well while approaching her.

"Ya-chan, don't cry!" [Surname] exclaimed as the tears started to fall from her eyes as well.

I glanced around the room and looked at everyone's reactions. Shimizu-san was already beside [Surname] and Yachi, hugging the girls. Tanaka-san and Noya-san kept crying while they were beside the foot of her bed. Hinata soon after joined the two second-years and cried with them.

"[Surname], don't go yet! You still need to toss to me!"

The three third-year players sat next to each other as they all shared the same look of hurt on their faces. Kageyama even looked sad himself but his only reaction was to look down. Even Ennoshita-san, Kinoshita-san, and Narita-san looked like they were close to crying. Despite the fact that they weren't regulars, [Surname] made sure to acquaint herself with them as well.

I looked at Yamaguchi who only had a broken look on his face while looking at [Surname]. I don't know if he knew, but tears were falling from his eyes.

I turned my head to the other side as I pinched the bridge of my nose— my glasses slightly getting lifted up. I placed my closed fist in front of my mouth as I tried to stop the sad atmosphere get to me as well.

Almost everyone was already crying. I didn't want to add to that. Besides, [Surname] has already seen me cry once. I didn't want to show her that again.

"Everyone," [Surname] said in between hiccups. "Please don't be sad anymore."

"[Surname], are you sure there isn't something you can do about it?" Daichi-san asked.

"Like I said, the only things left to do are the unsure alternatives and the risky choices."

Everyone looked down as they heard that.

'So this is it? This can't be it.'

"Because of that, I'm planning to take one of the risks. I'm gonna undergo brain surgery. According to my aunt, if successful, the effects of my illness on my legs can be reversed. Not immediately, but I'll have the chance to walk again," [Surname] said.

"What's the probability of it being a success?" Yamaguchi asked.

"My aunt said there's a 60% to 40% possibility that it'll go wrong. That's why, I'm just making sure I get to thank you for everything," she said.

"When is it?" Suga-san asked.

"In two days."

"Then," said our vice-captain. "Let's make sure to give you the best two days ever!"

"Osu!"

[Surname] cried while smiling at everyone.

"Osu," she said.