40

Tsukishima Kei's POV

I tied my shoelaces, making sure it was in a double knot.

"Ittekimasu," I said as I stood up.

"Itterasshai."

As soon as I walked out, I grabbed my headphones hanging from my neck and played a song.

For almost three months, I've been walking the same road to the hospital just to visit [Name]. It was a routine I got used to too much but I also hoped it would end already— today, if it could.

Yesterday, I didn't go to the hospital—Nanami-san told me not to. The day before her surgery, Nanami-san approached the whole team and told us it'd be better if we didn't visit right after the surgery. She, however, suggested one of us to leave our contact information so she could tell is what happened after.

Honestly, I was too scared to leave my own number because I knew, if we received news we didn't want, I might not be able to relay it to the team because I'd be in denial too much.

In the end, it was Suga-san who gave his contact because he was the oldest out of all of us.

Last night, I couldn't sleep until we had an update on [Name]'s condition. At that time, it had been almost twelve hours since she texted us that the surgery was starting soon. It was only around eight in the evening when Suga-san sent us a message.

Apparently, the surgery went well, but she wasn't awake yet. Nanami-san wanted to wait for her to wake up before informing us, but once she realized that it didn't seem it would happen any time soon yet, she decided to tell Suga-san.

Nanami-san also added that it was normal, especially in her condition, for her not to wake up immediately. However, she also added that if she didn't wake up in a day or two, it didn't mean any good.

I felt nervous once I heard that, but I decided to believe in her. She'd make it.

'I should probably stop by there first before going to her room. '

I went inside the bakery beside the hospital and bought cookies— the same one [Name] always asked for.

Once the cookies were in the bag, I headed out and went inside the hospital. As always, I took the elevator to the sixth floor.

When I stepped inside her room, her aunt was there who looked like she was just waiting for [Name] to wake up.

"Tsukishima-kun? Why am I not surprised?" Nanami-san said, smiling at me.

"Good morning, Nanami-san," I said, bowing a little.

"Well, I'm gonna leave her to you for now. I need to take a rest."

Nanami-san walked out the room as I took a seat on one of the stools near [Name]'s bed.

[Name] had bandages on her head— they were gonna stay there for a while too. Her face looked like she was just sleeping like always and like nothing was wrong.

'Wake up already, idiot.'

"I brought you those cookies you really like," I said, placing the paper bag on one of the tables beside her bed. "If you don't wake up soon, I'm gonna eat the cookies. So, wake up."

I was tempted to swing a volleyball right in front of her to try and trigger her awake with it.

'Ugh. I'm thinking like an idiot right now.'

But then again, it might be idiotic enough to work.

'No. Stop thinking like an idiot.'

I shook my head as I tried to shake off all the stupidity getting into my brain.

"I might as well try to summon her by saying volleyball idiot three times."

'You better wake up soon. You can't stay there sleeping and leave me hanging with my answer to your letter.'

I sighed and grabbed my headphones. While waiting for her to wake up, I decided to listen to some music and let time pass.

Before I could press play though, I heard a groan come from her way, causing me to take off my headphones and glance her way.

My eyes widened as I looked at her. Her eyes opened a little before closing again. She kept on blinking repeatedly before fully opening her eyes

I grabbed her glasses on the table and handed it to her.

"Hey," she said.

"Hey," I replied.

Her voice was hoarse, but she had a huge smile on her face. A smile that made my heart race fast.

"You're here," she said, giving me a small smile.

"Well," I said, brushing my hand through my hair while my other hand still handed her her glasses. "Someone told me I should be here when she wakes up."

I heard her giggle as she took the glasses from my hand and put them on.

"So, I survived. I can call you by your name now, right?" [Name] said with a closed-eye smile as she tried to sit up

"Yeah," I said, assisting her.

The two of us shared a smile.

Things weren't perfect right now. She wasn't completely okay yet. But today marks the start of her recovery. It's the start of new hope— a stronger and brighter hope.

"Did you read it?" [Name] asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"Ah." She bit her lip as she looked down at her blanket.

I chuckled as I watched her hold her hands together and rub her thumbs against each other. I stood up from the stool I was sitting on and took my usual seat beside her. But this time, I was facing the opposite way she was— I was facing her.

"Idiot," I said, placing my right hand on her nervous ones. "I like you too, [Name]."

"Ah, is that so?"

[Name] turned a little red as the smile on her face appeared. Her hands also stopped fidgeting and I could feel how warm it was under mine.

"I'm glad," she said.

She looked up at me with red cheeks and a breathtaking smile.

'She looks so pretty. Damn it.'

"Say it again," [Name] said.

"Say what?"

"What you just said!"

"Ah, I forgot what I just said," I said, looking away for a moment before returning my gaze at her.

I chuckled as she pouted at me.

"Alright," I said.

I looked straight to her eyes and said, "I like you, [Name]."

Her arms were suddenly wrapped around my chest, pulling me in closer. I looked down at her and saw the smile still on her face, making me smile as well. She was still a little pale as always, but she was glowing.

"I like you too, Kei."