26

Tsukishima Kei's POV

It has been two weeks since the competition and since [Surname] fainted.

It was pretty hard not to remember how she wasn't okay when her empty seat was in the middle of the room—  right in my view. During class, I often mindlessly end up staring at the empty chair and of course, my mind would wander.

Whenever I catch myself thinking about how she was the one who occupied that seat before, I keep recalling what happened. The sight of her fainting was still fresh in my mind and finding out the truth about her health didn't help in lessening my worry for her.

I told myself that I wasn't going to let myself get any closer to her for my own sake but I couldn't do that when she was obviously going through something. I wanted to be there for her and offer her comfort because I actually knew now how little hope she had left for herself.

Still, I couldn't shake off from my mind on how she'd probably want someone else to do that for her— comfort her, be there for her, tell her everything will be okay. I knew there was someone else who would probably be better than me with such things.

Since they got closer, [Surname] didn't confide as much about Yamaguchi to me anymore. I could only assume that things are going well between the two of them. 

That was good, I guess. I mean, good for her but for me? That's something I'd rather not discuss.

Still, it's my own feelings that make me want to be there for her despite knowing how it'll end up hurting me as well. I hated how I had to be in this position right now— choosing whether I should care for my feelings or care for hers— just because I ended up taking a liking to her.

"Tsukki," Yamaguchi said. "We should start heading for practice."

"I know," I said, grabbing my bag.

Club didn't help much in distracting myself as well. I got used to seeing her around too much and now that she isn't, things feel a little empty— like something, or rather, someone was missing. And I could only do much to solve that problem.

I grabbed my phone and opened my messaging app.

To: #11
From: Idiot #6

Heyyy Tsukkiiii send a 
pic of the team okay?? ;-;
I miss everyone ;-;

I chuckled as I remembered how she asked me to change our contact names for each other. After I assured her that she'd get better and go back to playing soon, she asked me to have her jersey number as her contact name. I added the word idiot so I wouldn't forget that it was her number.

To: Idiot #6
From: #11

I'll tell Yamaguchi to send
you a pic of the team.

To: #11
From: Idiot #6

I want Tsukki to be the one
holding the phone that will take
the pic ^^

To: Idiot #6
From: #11

Then I'll be in front of the pic

To: #11
From: Idiot #6

That's the point ^^

I rolled my eyes as I read her message. She was as casual as ever with saying stuff that ends up making my heart race. I hated it. How the hell was I gonna forget how I felt for her when she keeps on being like this.

"Dumbass," I mumbled under my breath.

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Training finally ended and now Yamaguchi and I were walking home. Once again, while walking, [Surname] ended up in my thoughts. It didn't help at all that Yamaguchi— the person I knew that had her heart— was beside me. Maybe if I had pushed him earlier to her, things wouldn't be like this, and I would only worry for her like how a friend would and not be bothered by anything else. Still, that thought didn't sit well with me— Yamaguchi and [Surname].

"Tsukki," Yamaguchi said.

"What?" I said, keeping my eyes on the pavement we were walking on.

"How do you see, [Surname]-chan?"

"What?" I said. It's not that I didn't hear what he said. I was just caught off-guard that he asked that.

"Last time I asked you that, you told me she was just an annoying volleyball idiot that prioritized getting better over her health. Did that change?"

I only looked at Yamaguchi, confused with why he was bringing our past conversation up.

"Because it did for me," he said. "Like before, I still think she's fun to be around with. She's nice and it's never dull with her around. She's loud, sure, but she's extremely caring as well. I like being around her."

'Wait a minute.'

I furrowed my eyebrows as I realized what he was saying.

"Yamaguchi, do you-"

"I like her."

"What?"

I didn't know what to do with that information. Should I be happy for [Surname] that her feelings were finally reciprocated? As a friend, I should be. That was the right thing to feel. But, my heart ached. What was I supposed to do with that?

"And I know you like her too."

I looked at Yamaguchi with wide eyes. "How- What?"

"I wasn't as dense as you probably thought I was, Tsukki," Yamaguchi said, scratching the back of his head. "I knew that [Surname] acted differently around me compared to others. But, I don't know if I can say it's still the same. Maybe she's more comfortable around me now or maybe things are different."

"You knew?" I asked.

I chuckled a little as I remembered how I always told [Surname] that she was obvious with how she was acting around him.

"I noticed. The way she acted, the way your glances towards her changed, the way my own feelings did— I noticed them all. Right now, I don't know what my place is, but, I'm not backing down and I hope you won't as well."

I only stared at him as my brows furrowed and a frown formed on my lips.

"Why should I fight for something I didn't even have a chance to get in the first place?"

Yamaguchi sighed before looking forward as we walked.

"You never noticed, haven't you?" he said.

I looked at Yamaguchi, confused. I didn't understand what he was saying. 

Noticed what? Was I supposed to notice something? 

If [Surname] ever changed how she acted around me, I would've taken note of it, but she never did. She still acted the same way around me.

"Tsukki, I know you're smart, but I didn't know you're dense as well."

"D-Dense?!"

Okay, I'm really confused.