year four: last days of summer

CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX

❛They didn't even care.❜

The Lupin-Black household stayed silent for most of the next few nights, following the days of the Quidditch World Cup

The Lupin-Black household stayed silent for most of the next few nights, following the days of the Quidditch World Cup. It wasn't until four in the morning of the third day that a high-pitched scream echoed through the room of Hope.

"Hope," an unknown voice came from the doorway, causing her to jump. "Are you okay?"

Her grey eyes widened and she reached for her wand. "Who--"

"It's just me." the light was turned on to reveal Alfie, his long blond hair an obvious mess. "I'm just making sure you're okay."

Hope let out a breath and forced a smile. "I'm fine. I'm sorry for waking you up, Alfie."

"No, no, it's okay." he reassured, walking into the dim bedroom. "I was already awake anyways--"

"No you weren't." she forced a laugh, looking to her older brother. "You can go back--"

Alfie looked to his sister with a look of guilt. "Listen, I'm sorry for being such an awful brother, and what I said to you at the World Cup was inexcusable and I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, too." she spoke quietly, not looking up from her blanket. "I shouldn't have insulted you or your girlfriend."

"You don't need--"

Hope held up her finger, causing Alfie to stop talking. "You're my big brother, and if you're happy, I'm happy."

Alfie sat down next to his sister, looking her in the eyes. "I know you don't like her, and you have every reason to hate her--"

"Then why do you like her?"

"I don't know," he said slowly, running a hand through his hair. "She makes me happy, and she means well--"

The teenage girl gave her brother a look while she laughed. "Really?"

"You know, neither of us are going back to sleep anytime soon--"