five

I had a bad feeling about that mission from the very beginning. I should've listened to my gut feeling, persistently trying to tell me that something was going to go wrong, but I let Nana convince me to go through with it anyway. She had a special dislike for targets like the man that we were trying to find. He already tried to kill the same victim once and what I saw in my dreams was a second attempt, right at the hospital where she was brought after she miraculously survived the first one. Her room was supposed to be closed off from the general public, which could only mean that the one who tried to murder her had to be a close family member.

'' Maybe we got off on the wrong foot. Tell me 'when', okay? '' Nana asked as she picked up a kettle and looked at the man that was sitting down in front of her. It was the middle of the night and we managed to sneak in to the surveillance room of the hospital where the victim was staying. We thought that it would be easy to convince the worker to let us look through the footage, but surprisingly enough, he was trying to argue with us and threaten us with the police.

Nana's eyes held an eerie glow in the faint light of the screens, which were showing footage from different parts of the hospital. Her face was hidden behind a mask, covered by red poppies. In the darkness, you could easily mistake them for blood.

The worker held his mug towards Nana and the girl kept pouring from the kettle until the boiling liquid overflowed. He hissed in pain when the tea burned his skin and opened his mouth to scream. His mug loudly shattered against the ground, but Nana threw the kettle in his face before he could let out a sound. My eyes slightly widened when I saw her grab his neck, while the skin on his cheeks started to get red. '' You can talk willingly, but I can also force you. The choice is yours. ''

'' How about we take it down a notch instead? '' I spoke up for the first time and raised my eyebrows in question. I knew that I wasn't out as a cop that night, but I still couldn't just turn a blind eye on violence.

Nana twisted her head and glared at me, clearly annoyed that I didn't back her up, while the worker suddenly choked out: '' A lot of people are coming by today. ''

'' What? '' we simultaneously asked and looked at him in shock.

'' Somone was here earlier, '' the man seriously continued and took a deep breath. He was clearly in pain from the burns that Nana caused on his face and his hand, but she didn't seem to care. Instead, she only tightened her grip around his neck, urging him to speak faster. '' I didn't understand earlier, but now I do. He wanted to know if anyone asked about the security camera footage from that girl's room, the one that's under the surveillance of cops... I suppose he thought that you'd be a little faster than him. Now that I think of it, he did look kind of disappointed when I told him that you didn't come by yet. ''

'' Bold of you to insult us after you got a taste of what I can do, '' Nana hissed in response and narrowed her blazing eyes.

The worker mockingly smirked. '' I'm not scared. What can you do other than petty tricks? ''

My eyebrows furrowed together with confusion, I took a step closer and pushed Nana out of the way. He didn't try to fight when I grabbed the collar of his shirt and carefully asked: '' How long ago did that man come by? ''

The worker let out a quiet laugh in response, while Nana suddenly tapped my shoulder. I turned my head and saw her staring at the numerous screens that were showing security camera footage from different corners of the hospital. My eyes grew wide with shock at the sight of the men in suits that appeared out of nowhere and I instantly let go of the worker. They were running down the hallways, all headed towards the surveillance room. '' Shit. Let's go. ''

'' I thought that I smelled something too honorable, lawful and cop-like, but I thought that it was just you, '' Nana cried out and pushed her hood on her head. '' Dammit. I didn't even wear my running shoes today. ''