three

Out of all of my bad qualities, my stubbornness was probably the one that I despised the most. Sometimes it seemed almost like I was purposely trying to make life more difficult for myself than it needed to be. Our investigation of Han Mae's murder wasn't going well, but we managed to find the owner of the phone that was ringing from her casket on the day when she was found. We traced it back to some bar on the outskirts of Seoul and brought the owner in the police station, but it was obvious that someone paid him to commit the crime and bury the girl in that cemetery. He was still going to get charged for what he did, but I didn't want the main perpetrator to walk free.

Our chief knew that my suspicions were right, but he didn't want to give Jimin and I more than three additional days to investigate, before he would close the case and give an official statement to the public. Everyone was telling him to wrap things up as fast as possible and he was beginning to crack under the pressure, both from RBB Entertainment and his higherups.

'' You want me to distract the manager? Seriously? How am I supposed to do that? '' Jimin snapped in response to my request and looked at me with wide eyes. At the sight of my clueless shrug, his features formed a scowl and he brought his hands to his face in frustration. '' I might as well start coming to work in a clown outfit. Why am I always the one that has to do these type of things? It's really not fair! ''

Jimin and I were sitting in his car, on the third floor of the parking garage that belonged to RBB Entertainment. We were watching the van that was used by Pink Dreams and patiently waiting until we finally saw their manager step out of the building and make his way towards it. Jimin waited for him to unlock the vehicle, before he jumped out of his car and hurried towards him. I lowered myself down on my seat, to make sure that the manager wouldn't be able to see me and my lips curved in an amused smile when I heard my partner say: '' You're going out? That gives me the perfect chance to finally have an honest chat with the girls from Pink Dreams! Don't come back too soon, okay? Oh and can you stop at a convenience store on the way back and bring me a soda? I'm always craving something sugary after a good interrogation. ''

The manager tried to protest and say that the girls already told him everything when they came to our police station, but Jimin only saluted in response and hurried inside the RBB building. The man seemed conflicted for a moment, then he kicked one of the van's wheels in anger and ran after the detective. The vehicle remained unlocked and I could easily get inside and take what we were here for.

It wasn't legal to obtain evidence this way, but I didn't care. I didn't think that the manager was behind Mae's murder, but I did believe that he knew something that could help us find out who did it and I was hoping that he would be able to lead Jimin and I in the right direction. Three days weren't a lot of time to find a killer, so it was necessary to resort to drastic measures. That was why I got in the manager's van and stole the memory card from his dashcam.

I was just about to run back to Jimin's car, when I suddenly spotted the manager again. He was walking next to my partner, who was getting escorted out of the building by a security guard. I cringed at the sight, before I quickly threw myself on the ground and rolled under the van. I barely managed to crawl under the car that was parked right next to it before the manager appeared, cursing and muttering something about stupid police officers who didn't know when to give up.

'' If we keep doing things like these, we'll eventually get caught and end up in trouble. '' Jimin was sitting behind the steering wheel of his car and fixing his hair in the rearview mirror when I sat inside again.

I waved the stolen memory card in front of his face and smirked. '' We've done worse. ''

'' Well, that's true, but our luck is eventually going to run out. It's bound to happen. '' He started the engine of the car and grabbed the coffee that was stuck in the cup holder before he placed one hand on the steering wheel. '' I don't wanna go to jail and meet all the bastards that we put away together. What if they would try to gang up on us? I'm good with words and you have some very mediocre ninja skills, but that wouldn't help us survive for more than like... I don't know, at most - three hours. Maybe four... Should we take up boxing? ''