19. You're Scary

"Neesan!" Evgenia smiles cheerfully, even though she seems like she's in a rush

"Neesan!" Evgenia smiles cheerfully, even though she seems like she's in a rush. "That means Yuzu is here already!"

Reika looks at her, she wants to correct the Russian girl, that she isn't his sister. But somehow her tongue numbs, she doesnt know how to start. "Zhenya-san..."

Evgenia looks like she's been thinking about it for a while, but eventually she decides to do it. She grabs Reika's hand and drag her to a corner, then she whispers carefully, making sure no one hears her. "Neesan, is Yuzu's wife here too? I heard they don't get along well, I kind of expected it because it's arranged and all– but is it true?"

Reika didn't expect that. Her eyes widen and she froze for a few long seconds before finally responding, "What? Where do you know about that?"

"So it's true? Aish, it's basically hot gossip in the cricket club!" Zhenya waves her hand. "I think Yuzuru consulted Tracy when he first arrived in Toronto, then some people overheard and then spread it like wildfire."

"...Huh," Reika doesn't say anything. She doesn't know what to say, to be frank. It is true that they have a problem when they first arrived in Toronto, but to have the privacy of her marriage life spoiled to be everyone's gossip...

"I'm not... really sure about that," Reika finally mutters her answer. It is the truth, she really is not sure. She has confessed to Yuzuru that she likes him, but Yuzuru hasn't said anything back. That leaves her confused. Evgenia seems to notice her wrinkled expression, as she immediately force a laugh, "Right! I'm sorry for asking such a weird question all of a sudden... haha."

Reika looks up to her, trying to read the button eyes of this Russian girl standing in front of her. "Why are you asking me this?"

Evgenia shakes her head panicly, realizing it was a bad idea to ask Reika that question now. "Aahh it's not a big deal! I just thought Yuzu is a... nice person so I was curious about the factuality of those rumours..." Evgenia stops herself, taking a deep breath before continuing. "Sorry. The truth is I have a crush on him."

Reika feels like a sledgehammer just slams her solar plexus.

"I won't do anything, don't worry." Evgenia smiles at her, showing a set of white teeth. "I just... maybe can comfort him if he had a fight with his wife..?" She sounds unsure herself. "I don't know. I should just try and see."

This is bad.

Evgenia looks at her handwatch and almost jumps in reflex, "Oh God! Neesan, I'm sorry for getting carried away, but I should go now. See you around!"

And just like that, Evgenia runs to another direction in a rush, disappearing.

"Hey. I thought you wanted to wait at the cafetaria." Reika turns to that familiar voice. Yuzuru stands behind her, his hair looks messy and his muscles look pressed inside his tight black training gear.

Reika can feel her cheeks getting hot seeing Yuzuru in his training gear. She gulped before mustering up her courage to lift her hand and thread through his hair with her fingers, tidying up the messy hair. "Yuzuru-san. Can we go home?"

Yuzuru flutters his eyes, his head moving back, not expecting what Reika just said. "What? We just got here. I just finished changing."

He's right. Reika realizes that. She knows she's being ridiculous, but she can't shake off the uneasiness in he heart. "At least... At least please don't go to whatever surprise Zhenya-san has prepared!" Reika grabs his hand and looks into his eyes, begging.

"Reika... what's the matter?" This side of her surprises Yuzuru, his widened eyes try to look for answer in hers.

"I... I don't want her to take you away," Reika confesses, her head was down the whole time. Her fingers fidgets as she waits for his response.

"Take me away?" Yuzuru repeats, confused. "Reika, Zhenya and I are merely trainmates. It's not like—"

"I know!" She exclaims. "But what if... what if she has feelings for you?"

That triggers an unpleasant memory for Yuzuru. A few years ago, Evgenia got so much hate comments whenever she uploaded a picture with him and so many people disliked her for being friends with him. The public mistook her friendliness to him as "annoying", even though Yuzuru genuinely likes being friends with her. Those hate comments changed Evgenia, it made her restrained herself from interacting too much with any male skaters since then. Yuzuru can't help but feel guilty about the whole thing.

"You don't know what you're talking about, Reika." Yuzuru glares at her. His voice sounds angry, but he keeps his tone low, though somehow that feels more scary. It's as if he's trying hard to hold himself back. "Stop talking nonsense, that's not going to happen."

Reika looks at him in disbelief. "You can't be sure it won't happen!" she pushes back, she knows she's right. "You know what she—"

"STOP JOKING AROUND!" Yuzuru shouts, silencing Reika in a heartbeat. She takes a step back, her hand trembles. His raised voice caused a few people in the cricket club looks to them, making both of them uncomfortable. After making sure to people it's not anything they should be worried about, Yuzuru takes a deep sigh and looks at the timid girl in front of him.

"Evgenia is not someone like that," he finally says. "Stop talking about others like that. It's not like you at all."

Reika looks down, not wanting to see his eyes. Her clenched fist stays besides her, hiding the fact that they're trembling. Why is he taking her side? "I... Why do you— I-I don't—" she struggles to find the right words.

Seeing her stutters like that makes him sigh. Yuzuru lowers himself to look at her at the same eye-level. "Alright, I give up. I don't have the time to fool around with you, come with me." Before even waiting for her response, Yuzuru grabs her hand and take his steps, forcing Reika to walks behind him. She keeps her head down the whole time, not speaking a word.

He abruptly stops in front of a door to the meeting room, making Reika crashes on his back. "We're here. Zhenya said she has a surprise in the meeting room right? Let's enter together."

Reika looks at him, her gaze shows obvious denial, but he can see fear hiding in the corner of her eyes. "No," she says as she tries to break free from Yuzuru's grip. She squirms around in vain, his grip is stronger than she thought. His strength shows Yuzuru obviously doesn't want to let go. "Yuzuru-san, please—"

Yuzuru opens the door and they step inside. And as their eyes see what's inside, what the "surprise" is, Reika immediately turns to Yuzuru, observing how his eyes shows shock, then turns into sadness, then eventually... happiness.

Do you like the cliffhanger? ;D

What do you think the "surprise" Zhenya had prepared? What do you think of this chapter? Lemme know in the comments!

As always, stay comfy my friends