14,5. Promise

The fangirls incident at the cafe made the aura awkward for their breakfast. Reika is so glad they left right away after finishing their food.

"Does things like that happen often?" Reika asks as she puts on her seatbelt in the car. Yuzuru shakes in response. "Not really, but I rarely go outside to begin with. I only go to TCC and go home."

"Mhm," Reika nods and keeps her head down the whole ride, scrolling her phone. She doesn't mind the silence, but Yuzuru seems to mind.

"Reika..." Hearing her name called makes Reika automatically turns to him. "Yes?"

"Reika Fueguchi..." He mentioned her name again. "Fueguchi, huh?"

"What is it?" Reika tilts her head in confusion. Why does he keeps calling my name?

"It's nothing. I was just practicing your name on my lips." Yuzuru says with a straight expression, his eyebrows not moving a single inch as he spoke. "How do you like Reika Hanyu?"

Reika chokes on her own saliva. "Uhm–wha—excuse me? Oh wow Yuzuru-san before getting married I bet you were playing with girls right and left hahaha you're a big player aren't you?"

Yuzuru slapped his chest dramatically as if he had been shot, "How could you say that?"

"I mean, how can you just say those things with such a flat expression?!" Reika hits his arm lightly, laughing.

Yuzuru tilts his head back and eventually laughs along too. "You're right uugggghh that was so cringy of me!"

"Ah that reminds me, Yuzuru-san!" Reika looks at his eyes with passion, her face seems lighted up. "Can we...drink?"

"Wha—"Yuzuru's eyelids flutters at the sudden request, he turns his head to her to make sure he heard that right. "Can we what now?"

"I want to try drinking alcohol!" She speaks with sparkles in her eyes, looking as excited as a cat in front of a fat fish.

"No!"

"Eeehh why?"

"You have to be twenty years old to drink alcohol!"

"In Japan, yes! But we're in Canada now! Eighteen year olds can drink!"

"Not in Toronto, no." Yuzuru shakes his head. "You have to be nineteen."

"Hmmpphh," Reika pouts, glaring at Yuzuru. "Then promise me to take me out for a drink on my birthday!"

"Birthday?" Yuzuru repeats. He never give it much thought before, but he doesn't really know much about his own wife. Reika has probably got quite a lot of information about him from the internet, but Yuzuru was actually married to an unknown woman. He doesn't know anything about her, yet why does she always manage to leave him feeling so confused and conflicted with his heart at the end of the day without even doing anything? Why do I feel things around her... when I don't even know her that much.

Witchcraft? Yuzuru thought. But after a while, he realized it's simply one of a handful petty reasons he made up to escape.

...No.

"Reika," he calls her. "Can you tell me more about you? I want to get to know you more."

Reika's eyes are widened, she froze for about 4 seconds and mustered all her unemotional strength to speak with calm. "What?" Her voice came out as a squeak, much to his efforts. Yuzuru's request shocked her to the core. What has gotten into him? She thought. Just a few days ago he ignored her entire existence.

"You can tell me about yourself," Yuzuru repeats. "I feel like because of my career you know me more than I know you. That's not fair."

"Hm... Very well, I'll tell you." Reika smiles, clapping her hands once. "If you promise to take me out for a drink at my nineteenth birthday this year."

"Oh? Making demands now? Such a bold girl." Yuzuru raises an eyebrow. "Alright then, why not."

"Promise?"

"Promise."