16. With You

"We can always start over. Let's talk and sort things out, shall we?"

Reika hesitated for a moment, but she still accept his hand. Yuzuru holds her hand firmly as they walk, inside he feels grateful that Reika accepts his hand when he extends it to her. There's still hope.

"What food do you like? Ah, we don't have anything at home so let's buy some for stocks." He looks at the many things at the food section before taking a few bags of rice and puts it in the shopping cart. "I can't cook at all. So I'm afraid I have to rely on you a lot."

"Yeah, your mother told me." Reika chuckles. "She said that you'll starve without her, so now that she's not with you anymore I have to cook you meals."

Yuzuru covers his face in with his hands, embarrassed. "Did Okaasan really said that? Aahh hazukashii.."

Seeing a shy Yuzuru somehow makes Reika laughs. "Don't worry about it, Yuzuru-san." She says in between her laughs. "I'll make sure to cook you good nutritious meals, worthy for an athlete!"

Ah. That somehow makes him feel guilty. "I'm so sorry I didn't eat what you cook before..."

"...Ah." Reika quiets down. Right. She almost forgets that happened. She used to cook for him for days but he never even touched the food. The girl shakes her head to reassure herself. Yuzuru-san already promised to be nice. "It's okay, it's all water under the bridge now."

They ended up buying a variety of meat and fish fillets, a pack of eggs and veggies, and some more cooking ingredients Yuzuru doesn't have knowledge on. Reika was the one who knows what to buy most of the time they're there. They also bought some packaged snacks for lazy days.

"Hm, it's already noon." He looks at his handwatch. "How about we eat lunch here?" Yuzuru suggests. Reika turns to him, her wide doe eyes stares at his slanted clear eyes. "Sure," she answer. "Do you know a good restaurant here?"

"Un." Yuzuru smiles and holds her hand with his free right hand. He uses his left hand to carry the shopping bags. "Let's go."

A lot of people in the restaurant they're in seems to recognize him. Yuzuru Hanyu understands perfectly that there are a lot of stares when they walked inside the restaurant. More than a few people steal some glances at him from head to toe, probably wondering if he's really Yuzuru Hanyu, or maybe considering to ask for pictures. But he doesn't bother. He only looks straight to the girl sitting in front or him.

Thank God no one actually come to their table and ask for pictures though.

Everytime Reika Fueguchi speaks, he would listened fully, appreciating every details about her. He doesn't interrupt her, doesn't try to force the conversation, or throw some cringy pick-up lines. Small and simple things like that feels way more precious to her than the expensive kimono the Hanyus gave her as one of her wedding presents.

She knows Yuzuru is a good person. Her parents didn't lie at all.

Her doe eyes looks at him after she sips her tea, "Yuzuru-san?"

"Yes?"

"Can I ask something?"

Yuzuru unexpectedly grins, holding back his laugh. "You've asked me my ideal type, Reika. You've asked me what my favorite food and even my weird habits. You can make a whole biography of me by now."

Reika pouts her lips. "I was going to ask something more serious. But if you don't want to be asked again then whatever.

"Hehe," Yuzuru chuckles, lowering his head to be on the same eye-level as her, looking at her teasingly. "Are you mad at me?"

"What if I am?"

"Well that's okay. I'll wait until you're not mad at me anymore."

"What if I'm mad at you forever?"

"Then I'll wait for you forever. Sticking by your side...like a gum. I am the face Lotte Xylitol gum after all." Yuzuru snickers and rest his head on his arm. His gaze never leaves her.

Reika snorts, but passing a soft laugh a second later. She never knows Yuzuru's humour is this weird–but cute at the same time. Reika doesn't notice it, she probably will never know how Yuzuru closely watches her, making sure to remember every moment about the girl in front of him whose cheeks flustered with pink like a peach everytime she laughs.

"Are you sure you won't regret that?" Reika finally speaks after she finished laughing.

Yuzuru tilts his head confusedly. "Regret? Why?"

Reika fixes her posture and put on a more serious face. "Sticking by my side... No, if we stick by each other's sides. If I always stay with you, will you be happy?" She looks at him straight. Again with those deep eyes. Yuzuru feels his knees weaken, for the second time today he feels as though he would drown in her round innocent eyes.

"When we first arrive in Canada... you treated me coldly. I know you apologize already, but that made me think..."

He can feel his body tensed up when that topic was brought up. Yuzuru himself regrets how he acts to her when they first arrive too. It was immature and stupid of him. He can completely understand if Reika never forgive him for that. But the kind girl agree to forgive him for a date, which he never expects. But I guess she doesn't forget.

"Do you want me?" Reika gathers up her courage to ask that damned question. Her eyes getting watery, she fears for the response.

Reika fidgets as she waits, fearing for rejection so much. What if he answers no? Crap. Why would you ask that question in the first place you stupid, stupid girl!

It took a few seconds for Yuzuru to speaks his answer. The look on his face varies during that few seconds–nervous, worried, anxious. "I... don't want to let our parents down. As much as you want me, I also want you for my life companion." He pauses for a moment, but then continues calmly, "I have a lot of flaws, Reika. As you know, I couldn't control my emotions well sometimes. But I promise you from now on I'll always try to make you happy."

Ah. Reika can feel her heart warms up. That was the answer she wanted. Realistic answer with no sugarcoating. Yet reassuring. Simple and sure. Simple and certain. Reika smiles thinly as she replies, "Yuzuru-san, I can see why you're loved by so many people now. Do you realize how good of a talker you are?"

"Ah, hehe." Yuzuru softly laughs. The tension slowly disappears from his face and his body loosens. "I may be a public figure, but the one speaking to you right now is the actual Yuzuru."

Reika likes that. He may be the professional figure skater Hanyu-senshu to the world, but to her, he's just Yuzuru. That makes her happy. She smiles as she looks to her side and whispers to herself. "Then, is it finally okay for me to have feelings for you?"

I hope you enjoy this chapter🥺

What do you think? Please comment your thoughts 🥺💜