chapter eleven

His father had done nothing else but smirk knowingly, like he had already known Yoongis answer. Because he had, he had left yoongi with no other option than to do what he wanted. They both knew it, but that didn't stop yoongi from feeling as if he had submitted to the man, like he was a fucking kid all over again. The only thing stopping him from doing something stupid with the chopstick in his hand — like plunging it so deep into his fathers eye that he could feel the squelch of his brain on the other end, for instance — was the terribly risky idea already formed in his mind. It would require yoongi to pull some nonexistent acting skills out of his ass, but he was sure he could do it. He just needed some help. The only part his father needed to play was to die, and quickly. But yoongi was somewhat disappointed to find the man in good health, well he looked like he was in good health. A little on the thin side, but nothing that screamed terminally ill cancer patient, anyway. So it might still be a few weeks yet until the man finally keeled over, unfortunately.

The two ate in silence after that, his fathers smile had long slipped away and morphed into familiar stoicness. Yoongi pushes his steak around his plate and doesn't take a single bite.

"Before I am certain you will take up my position in Yuggun Yong when I go," his father suddenly says, talking as if his dying was just him retiring to live in a cottage in the country, not going straight to hell with a first class ticket. "I need to make sure you are committed, yoongi. Committed to this organisation and committed to those under you and everything, all the responsibility, it brings. I have already taught you from a young age how our syndicate works, the vital ins and outs that keep us working and out of trouble with the law. You have even gotten your hands dirty for us," his father says darkly, yoongi gulps. He didn't want to think about all the drugs he had sold to literal children, didn't want to think that maybe by doing so he had been the beginning of one of their downward spirals. Didn't want to think that he'd possibly played a major role in someone's addiction, to ruining someone's life. Or of the people he beat up and hurt at his Father's say so. The man he had rendered a quadriplegic. "You've shown your worth when it comes to ambition and drive, as demonstrated by what you have done here. So that doesn't need to be proved. What does, is your loyalty. Once I am gone, I do not want you to think that the threat I am leaving behind will not be fulfilled if you do not do as promised."

Yoongi clenches his jaw, but he had been expecting that. A secret third party player was one of his fathers favourite moves to pull.

"In saying that, I hope you know that my ghost will always be here, even from the grave I will hold power over you in those that are loyal to me. My legacy in Yuggun Yong will live, but if you do not keep to your word your little friends will not. Are we clear?"

Yoongi keeps his face neutrally blank, but anger laps at his insides. "Crystal."

"Good," his father smirks that dirty smirk again. "Now, I hope you still have a good shot, yoongi, because we're going to need it."

Yoongi steps out of the room and it feels as if it was the first breath he had taken in hours. But still, he wasn't allowed to show his relief on his face at finally being free from being trapped in the same room as that monster for four hours, because the members still stood tall on either side of the wall, shoulder to shoulder, watchingj him with their hands clasped behind their backs. But whatever they were looking for on his face or in his stance, any vulnerability or weakness they were hoping to see, yoongi wasn't going to give to them. He held his chin high and kept his face stoic, squaring his shoulders and shoving his hands in his pockets, painting on a vision of complete nonchalance and carelessness. He wasn't affected by any of it. Not at all.

Yoongi walks down the hall and feels each and every pair of eyes on him, squaring him up. But he doesn't falter. He had just promised his life away to the devil. He had just signed a document proclaiming him boss of them all after his fathers death, he wasn't afraid of them. He wasn't afraid of anything. He had just looked the devil in the eye and lied to him, and the devil had smirked and though he'd won.