Raising the Little Ones!

Start from the beginning

(Really, the only time Red ever spoke was to Gary and Crystal, both of whom he'd known for years. Anything else was either silent- communicated through look alone- or a quiet, few-word response.)

Once Noibat finished its second berry, it seemed full, and our heroes prepared to keep going on their way to Dendemille Town. The hatchling started walking first, flapping its wings and lifting into the air before...

CRASH! The poor thing didn't keep itself balanced and crashed straight into the ground. As Ash and Zenith rushed over to it, both being the closest to it, the hatchling sighed and accepted help from them both.

"It's like Noibat considers Ash its parent," Serena said.

"If that's true, then Zenith and Noivern would also be like parents to it," Shadow shot back. "All young Pokemon look to someone older to guide them. Look, now Ash's Fletchinder and Hawlucha are trying to teach Noibat to fly, and he's latching on to his Pokemon just as much, too."

Sure enough, as Zenith watched with an amused look, Ash flapped his arms enthusiastically while Fletchinder and Hawlucha had begun showing Noibat how to keep their balance in the air and work with the wind currents. Soon, Noivern was joining them, sitting under Noibat beside Ash, ready to catch the young Pokemon if it so happened to fall.

Serena bristled with anger. Ash and Zenith, like parents? That would make them a couple! And Zenith hasn't even known Ash that long, he doesn't belong to her! If anyone, he should belong to me! She thought, though as she watched the Pokemon working together and the way it made Ash happy, she sighed and stayed quiet, like she usually did. I'm not going to embarrass myself and cause a scene like a child, because I'm practically grown up! I should set an example for the others, like Bonnie and my own Pokemon.

After a few more unsuccessful flights, Clemont stepped in and suggested they focus more on the gliding than full-out flying first, which Pine seconded.

"But where," Zenith mused, looking around. "There's not really anywhere to glide from right here, and if we continue at this rate, Noibat might just end up hurt. No offense, anybody, I'm sure you'd do your best to catch him, but it's better to be safe than sorry..."

Just then, one of Zenith's other Pokemon opened on its own, revealing Zoroark. "Zorrrrro, zor," It stated solemnly.

"Zoro? What is it, do you have any ideas?" Zenith asked, as if wordless communicating with her Pokemon.

The Dark-Type turned his head to stare down the street, as if pointing in the direction he wanted them to go. "Zoroark..."

"Luuucha?" Hawlucha asked Zenith's partner briefly, getting a nod in return. "Haw! Lucha, lucha." Hawlucha pointed a wing the same way Zoroark had been looking.

"Okay, I guess these two know something we don't," Zenith chuckled, hefting her bag onto her back, making sure not to jostle Star in the process. "May as well go see what they're so interested in, right?"

"Right," everyone replied. Soon, they were following the path with Hawlucha and Zoroark leading the way, while Noivern skipped along chattering to Noivern and Fletchinder. Meanwhile, the rest of the humans followed behind them.

Finally, once they turned a corner, Zenith saw a big hill. "Ohhhh, that's what they were talking about! I guess Zoro remembers our own Kalos adventure so long ago, and that there was a hill here. I'm guessing Hawlucha saw it when he was flying, too. Nice work, guys; this'll be the perfect place for Noibat to learn to glide!"

The honey blonde reached over to pat her Dark-Type's long red fur, pulling back when she noticed the knots.

"I guess the next time we stop at a Pokemon Center, all my teammates should get a thorough wash. We have another performance to make an appearance at soon, after all. Isn't that right Shadow, Pine, Crystal? ... And Serena?"

The four performers nodded before Zenith waved her hand in the air. Ash was already running toward the top of the hill with his Pokemon, and she didn't want to miss Noibat's first successful glide. Star chirped from her shoulder as her deep blue eyes stared forward with wonder.

"Woah, the breeze is pretty strong up here!" Ash exclaimed. "This is great! Noibat, go with Hawlucha, Fletchinder, and Noivern, they know the way!"

Zenith returned Zoro to his Pokeball with a quiet "Je vous remercie beaucoup," before going to stand beside him, both loving and fearing the feeling of the wind in her hair, her face, ruffling her clothes. It would be so easy to transform now and embody all the power of the sky, but that would ruin everything I build my life on, not to mention hurt my family and friends. They'd hate me if they knew what I was capable of...

For once, Ash wasn't completely oblivious to the emotions of the ones around him. He tapped Zenith's shoulder. "Hey, you okay?"

She shook herself out of the trance and gave him a smile. "Fine, just thinking." She turned her attention back to Noibat with the other three Flying-Types just in time to see a giant net cast over all of them but Fletchinder.

~

And.... cut! Cliffhanger!

A lot happened, with Noibat getting to know and trust some of the group, Serena being 🤢🤮 somewhat mature about her obvious jealousy despite her weird possessiveness, and then that ending! Not to mention Zoro got to make an appearance- I feel like Gardevoir has had most of the spotlight in Zenith's story so far, and her other Pokemon are in serious need of representation so expect them in the upcoming performances and battles!

Anyways, see you next week! Goodbye for now,

Zenith