A Fairy-Type Fray, Part 2

May's here already, and what better to way to celebrate that than with a battle and new life?

(I can't figure out for the life of me why my laptop is suddenly refusing to download or upload images, so this chapter won't have one until it decides to work again. Sorry for the inconvenience- this issue has since been resolved!)

~

"The stronger the opponents we face, the more we get totally fired up and psyched!" Ash exclaimed in response to the gym leader. "We're not gonna lose this battle! No way!"

"Yeah! You go, Ash!" Zenith cheered from above the battlefield. "Give it your all!"

The two opposing battlers exchanged a few more words as Zenith settled in, leaning against the barrier to get a good view. Then, Kali began the official battle announcement.

"The Laverre gym battle between Valerie, the gym leader, and Ash from Pallet Town, the challenger, will now get under way! Each trainer will have the use of two Pokemon, and the battle will be over when either trainer's Pokemon are unable to continue. Furthermore, only the challenger will be permitted to substitute Pokemon. That's all!"

Valerie smiled, releasing her Sylveon, while Ash released his Fletchinder...

~

The battle was even more suspenseful than Zenith expected, watching with her hands gripping the balcony railing as she shouted words of encouragement to Ash without an ounce of regret.

And with that, his Hawlucha stood tall against Valerie's Spritzee, who had fainted and was then called back to its Pokeball.

"Ash, the challenger, has emerged victorious!"

"GOOOOOOOOO ASH!" Zenith cheered, running down the steps two at a time to give him a big hug, congratulating the boy for his victory. "You did so well! I can't believe it!"

He chuckled, returning the hug before letting go to return his Hawlucha. "Yeah! I got my Fairy Badge!"

"Just what I'd expect from a Pokemon-Master-to-be!" Zenith approved, giving Valerie a wave as they turned toward the exit, egg still firmly in her arms. "Now, let's go exploring! I haven't been in Laverre City in a while..."

Our heroes left the gym in high spirits, everyone else congratulating Ash on his victory. The boy even let his Pokemon out to walk with them to celebrate winning the badge, the others each allowing their closest partner to join them as well.

Suddenly, Hawlucha let out a squawk of surprise, leaping from its place as it ran toward a tree. Zenith followed it curiously, sensing the Pokemon's distress, only to see the Fighting- and Flying-Type pulling an egg from under a bush. It had been hidden in the tree's shade!

"An egg! Oh wow, good eyes, Hawlucha!" She exclaimed, going over to get a closer look. The others did the same. It was lavender with darker purple circles with smaller ones inside, and even in Hawlucha's grasp it seemed to shudder.

Shadow fell into a crouch beside the bird Pokemon, eyeing the egg with concern. "It looks to be a Noibat egg, almost ready to hatch... and from what I can tell, it doesn't have any sort of nest. Either it was abandoned here, or its parents aren't the careful type."

"An abandoned egg!? Good thing we came along, then! I know; I'll look after it!"

"Good thinking, Ash!" Zenith replied as Shadow picked it up from Hawlucha and reluctantly passed it over to him. "I would offer to take care of it, and I'm sure my sisters would do the same, but we all have our own eggs to look after for now."

"That's right," Ash recalled thoughtfully, gently stroking the egg all the while. "They should all be hatching quite soon, so they'll be like brothers and sisters!"

"Just like us," Zenith laughed, throwing an arm around Pine's shoulder and the other around Shadow's, catching the noirette off guard. Luckily, her Delphox caught her egg, and Zenith's shiny Gardevoir silently giggled, having already been assigned egg-carrier by the honey blonde.

Shadow groaned. "Yeah; like, everyone in the world knows already. That comes as a surprise to absolutely no one." She roughly pushed Zenith off, though it only caused the champion to laugh harder.

"Always so serious! Lighten up, sis!"

Pine separated from Zenith, her egg still safely in her other arm. "Is nobody gonna talk about this new egg? Sky's already got a Noivern, so she and Ash will have matching 'mons!"

"That's right! Noivern, c'mon out, s'il vous plaît!" The blonde exclaimed, reaching for her belt to release her Dragon- and Flying-Type. Said Pokemon appeared in a flash of red light, letting out a brief roar to the sky to announce his presence before looking around. "Noivern, you remember Ash, right? His Hawlucha found a Noibat egg!"

"Noi? Noi!" He seemed surprised, scrambling with his wings to approach the boy and the purple oval-shaped object. "Noivern!"

"I think he's excited," Crystal chuckled. "He'll be like a big brother to your Noibat, Ash! That way, if the little one gives you any trouble, you'll have an extra set of hands- I mean, wings- to help you out!"

Ash pumped his fist into the air. "Yeah! That's awesome! Now, all we have to do is wait for them to hatch!"

Just then, there was a cracking sound, causing the group to freeze.

"Uh, Ash?" Bonnie said hesitantly. "I don't think we'll have to wait very long..."

~

Finally, the eggs are about to hatch! Now's your last chance to submit names...

Zenith S. Sawyer