❧ CHAPTER 34

season 9 episode 1 

Jo held a chart tightly to her chest as she left the elevator, hoping to somehow get out of having to give "Medusa" her charts by hand

Jo held a chart tightly to her chest as she left the elevator, hoping to somehow get out of having to give "Medusa" her charts by hand. Looking up from the floor in front of her, she saw one of her intern friends, "Steph, I need a favor. I'll do your scut for a week-- two weeks-- and before you say no, I just wanted to say that you look really pretty today." Steph chuckled, "And you're the most talented intern in our class, and I'm in no way trying to butter you up so don't say no."

Stephanie saw right through Jo's facade and told her bluntly, "No."

Jo scoffed, "You don't even know what I'm asking you yet."

"Yes, I do. I'm not going anywhere near Medusa for you. I want to live so I will say it again-- no." They stopped walking as they reached the main lobby, seeing Meredith, Natalia, and Dr. Bailey in the front desk, Stephanie scoffed, "Good luck, she's with the Lion."

Jo sighed, "Nothing to be scared of. She's just an attending. We only call her Medusa because--"

"Because she's a monster of mythic proportions, and we call her the Lion because she's tame one moment and if you screw up she'll rip your head off the next." Stephanie sighed, recalling the not-so-fond-memory of Natalia yelling at an intern for trying to touch the baby while it was inside the womb.

"I thought it was because she has lions on her scrub cap..." Jo sighed before Stephanie walked away. 

Dr. Bailey mumbled to herself, writing in her chart before she looked at something from her peripheral vision and saw an intern staring at Meredith, "What's the problem?"

Jo looked at her, "I have these labs for Dr. Grey."

"Well, then give them to her." Natalia said, gesturing to Meredith with a wave of a hand as she continued to write notes in her patient's chart.

Meredith spoke to Jo without looking up from the chart in front of her, "I've been waiting for those for over an hour."

"I had to do an admission--"

"Stop making excuses."

"Sorry." 

"Stop apologizing."

"Okay." 

"Stop talking." Meredith said, looking up at Jo with a cold look as Natalia mouthed 'wow,' to Dr. Bailey and closed her chart, handing it to a nurse, "His lactic acid is normal. What does that tell us?" Meredith waited for Jo to talk, but after a long pause sighed, "You can talk now."

Jo exhaled, "That he's probably not septic, so he's gonna be fine. Although his white cell count is elevated so I should probably keep an eye on that. In fact," Jo began to nod, "I will keep an eye on that. So that he doesn't go--"

Meredith waved her arm for Jo to go away, "Go to the pit and try not to kill anybody."

Jo walked away and Dr. Bailey chuckled, "Impressive. I would've expected that level of intimidation from Yang maybe. Not you. How is Yang, by the way? Does she like Minnesota?"