❧ CHAPTER 23

season 7 episode 18

"What the hell happened?" Mark asked, running down from the E

"What the hell happened?" Mark asked, running down from the E.R. outside.

"Car versus truck. That's all we know." Owen responded, Callie and Arizona were on their way to a bed and breakfast when their car hit a truck and their injuries are unknown.

"And her injuries?" Mark turned to look at Owen, "What--the baby?"

Derek chimed in, "We don't know yet." 

"Well, why the--why the hell don't you know? Someone get me a trauma gown."

"Mark," Dr. Webber commented, "You need to sit this one out." 

"I'm not sitting this one out. That's Callie. That's my kid." 

"Which is why you can't. I'm sorry. You can't be a doctor on this one."

"Screw you." 

Natalia sighed, "Mark."

"Screw all of you." 

Dr. Webber faced Mark as Mark put on a trauma gown, "Look at me, Sloan. Look at me. Maybe I don't understand what you two have, how you have it, but I understand this, she is your family. Callie Torres and that baby are your family, and the best way that you can help your family is to step back and let the rest of us do what you can't rationally do-- save their lives. Okay?"

Marks eyes bounced everywhere until Derek and Natalia spoke up at him, "Mark."  

"...I'm in the room, you hear me?" Mark said, looking at Webber, "I'm in the room."

Dr. Webber nodded, "Okay." The ambulance arrived and parked, making the doctors walk forward, "Hunt, you're in charge." 

"All right, everyone." Owen ran forward, opening the door, "Multiple blunt trauma protocol. Let's go." 

"Tachycardic and hypotensive en route." Arizona walked out of the ambulance, continuing even as she accidentally bumped into Owen, "Obvious head and chest injuries." 

"Callie? Callie. WE've got you, you hear me? Everything is gonna be okay." 

Natalia pressed on Callie's stomach to see how the womb was before looking at Mark's distraught face and looked at Dr. Bailey, "I'm going to check on Mark."

Dr. Bailey nodded for her to go forward as she stepped closer to Callie and Natalia made her way to Mark. 

Natalia walked towards Mark and looked back at Callie momentarily to see Dr. Bailey take off the oxygen mask for Callie to say something, but the blood in her mouth prevented anything to be heard. 

"Mark-- Mark, look at me." Natalia said, grabbing his face and tilting it down to look at her, "She's going to be okay, we're gonna take care of her."