PROLOGUE

L O R E N Z O

"I was born with a gun in my hand, and a bounty on my head, and look around, Agosto, I'm still standing." My words had the intended effect as he stiffened in his chair.

"Agosto, what peace offering, so far you've only wasted precious time," Dad said as he signaled for me to humor the opportunistic motherfucker who apparently had nothing to offer me.

I slid my gaze to Alessandro and he hadn't even bothered to hide the boredom I was feeling as well. It would be so much more entertaining if I could get my hands around Romano's throat.

"Sappiamo tutti che il nuovo procuratore deve essere abbattuto."
We all know that the new prosecutor needs to be brought down his high horse.

His sheepish circling around the real topic made me suspicious, perhaps it wasn't about mutual benefit after all. My instincts were adamant he was planning to stab us in the back, however, my stipulations would only be proved with time, until then I couldn't let my guard down. His continuous rambles about the shit that'd gone wrong with my enterprise in the past weeks were sketchy, and I didn't think it was an entente he was after. Though, I wouldn't put anything past an unscrupulous man like Agosto Romano.

Finally being pushed to the last of my limit, I tapped my thigh in impatience, and spoke as calmly as I could, "Agosto it's either you stop this game of cat and mouse, and spit it out or walk away while your legs are intact."

His adam's apple moved as he swallowed, his gaze settling on every person in the room for the tiniest of seconds. "Very well then, I want a marriage agreement between Lorenzo and my daughter Andrea." He finished, his eyes looking anywhere but me.

Having had enough of this shit, I extended my hand towards Luca, who handed me his gun immediately, I removed the safety, training it on Agosto, and his eyes widened as he clenched his jaw, not expecting my hostility.

"Alright Agosto, I'm fresh out of fucks to give right now, so if you lie one more time, I will kill you." I warned, "What's in it for you?"

"Except saving my legacy?" He arched his brow, clearly thinking he'd explained enough, but at my unrelenting gaze, he opened his mouth again, "It's no secret what happens to women in this world, I just want to keep her safe. All I ask is that your heirs are her children, and you stay faithful to her. The contract lists it all."

"And you intend to keep her safe by marrying her off to someone with my reputation?" At this point I knew he had an ulterior motive, I just wanted to see how far he'd go to appease his avarice even though it would end with a bullet between his eyes, and me taking over his businesses before his burial.

At my nod, Luca took the contract from his outstretched hand and looked through the papers, "Why is there a death clause in the name of truce here?"

"Insurance," Agosto shrugged like it was the most usual thing ever, and I suppose it was to him. "I had to ensure my daughter's safety."

***

So thoughts?

If you're an old reader, welcome back, I hope you like this new version, and if you're a new reader, I hope you fall for Lorenzo and Andrea as I have.

Once again, this is a book with strong language and mature themes, if that is not your thing, this book is not for you.

Thank you for reading, please vote and comment if you enjoyed.