Chapter 17

Pitter

Pitter

Patter

Pitter

Patter

There's a saying that even the heavens could detect a soul's suffering and sometimes they send down their blessings in the form of rain.

The lightning was crackling up in the sky furiously. The wind was howling like a lone wolf. Trees were moving against the rhythm of the wind.

It was getting chilly in the study so Ace lit up the fireplace to make it a bit warm and cozy in here. He also took out the blanket from his cupboard and wrapped it around Riley to protect her from the ruthless cold wind penetrating through the study.

Riley, who was holding a mug of hot chocolate, snuggled into the blanket and took a long whiff and obviously, it smelt just like Ace. Smoke, fresh pinewoods and a hint of spice.

It was oddly comforting. 

Ace walked towards the carpet and knelt down in front of Riley, who was snuggling against the blanket on the couch.

He undid his tie, rolled up his sleeves upto his elbows and grabbed his mug of hot chocolate.

"How long has this been happening?" He asked her while taking a sip and never taking his eyes off her.

"Pretty long." Riley looked away.

"Well.....how long is this 'pretty long', Riles?" He asked, annoyed with the vague answer she just gave to him.

She didn't speak for a few minutes and kept on staring at the fire burning in the fireplace.

"Riley, babe, you really gotta tell me. It's all gonna be alright. Just tell me, okay?" Ace laid a gentle hand over Riley's and have it a comforting squeeze while smiling at her.

Riley flinched but let him hold her hand because it sure did felt nice and secured. She took her gaze off from the fire and looked at him.

"Ever since I was a kid." She whispered softly, as if embarrassed to speak out any louder.

Ace paused for a while and looked at her with wide eyes. He couldn't imagine being in Riley's shoes, seeing, hearing such horrible creatures. It's a fücking nightmare.

Just imagine a tiny, innocent, little girl, who can see people. Dead people. All alone with nobody to look after her, not being able to tell people what she's being seeing or hearing. Ace shuddered.

Ace moved closer to Riley and tucked a silky strand, which was obstructing his view, behind her ear.

"Baby, look at me. Hey, it's alright. It's totally okay. I'm here, with you. Always." Ace cooed softly while cupping her face, making her look at him.

Riley looked at him with wide eyes. Nobody has ever said that to her. Nobody. Ever since she was a child, she has been alone. No family. No friends. No one.

So it was pretty astonishing for her to see Ace so concerned about her. It was....scary. To say the least.

The moment was interrupted by a cough sounded at the door. They both broke away from each other as if they were caught doing something wrong.

"Ooops. My bad. Did I interrupt something? Shit." Elijah smirked at Ace.

Ace threw a death glare in his way. He glanced at Riley to see his favourite blush has taken over her features. So beautiful, he smiled to himself.

"You need something, Eli?" Ace said with a warning tone.

"Huh? Oh yeah. We've to go and check the borders, Alpha. Might I just suggest that Luna come along as well?" Elijah said sweetly to Riley, wishing desperately that she agrees.

"Elijah!" Ace warned.

"Please Luna. Pretty please with cherry on top." Eli pouted cutely.

"I just told— "

"I would like to come with you guys." Riley interrupted Ace and smiled at Eli.

"Yessssss! You're the best Luna." Eli pumps up while picking up Riley and spinning her around.

"Eli, you've got two seconds to get your hands off her. Or else I'll rip your arms out." Ace glowered.

Elijah immediately removed his hands from Riley and gulped.

"Let's go then." Ace sighed.

The trio walked towards the front gate and Ace nodded at the guards. The guard nodded respectfully and the gate was pulled open.

"Wait....how are we getting to the borders? Do you've a car or something?" Riley questioned.

Ace and Eli just looked at each other and smirked.

"Luna, we don't need no car." Eli goaded while his bones cracked.

In a few moments, a sandy brown wolf stood in Eli's place.

"Holy shit. I don't think I'll ever get used to this." Riley whispered with her eyes wide open.

The large sandy brown wolf or Eli, took off, running into the forest.

"I'm gonna change into my wolf and you can get on my back, alright?" Ace voiced out, pulling Riley's attention back to him.

Riley nodded mutely.

The cracking of bones could be heard throughout the yard and in the place of Ace, stood a huge black wolf with shiny coat and emerald eyes. Hunter.

He walked towards Riley and started whining. Riley, still gobsmacked, scratched behind his gigantic ear while the big beast let out a satisfied purr.

"It's been a long time, isn't that right Hunter or Ace?" Riley smirked.

Ace let out a barked chortle while signalling her to get on his back.

He lowered himself and Riley positioned herself on his back. She grabbed his fur coating tightly and that was the only signal Ace needed as he took off. Fast like a lightning.

Riley could feel the wisp of the cold air hitting her face but it felt oddly good. She felt free.

After a while they reached the border and Riley got off him. Ace grabbed the clothes from Eli, who was already waiting for him there and changed into them, behind a tree.

"So this is our kingdom border, Luna. Our pack or empire is speedster by this very border. It's always secured and the pack warriors are always on patrol so that no rogue can enter our pack." Eli stayed proudly.

"Ummm.....what exactly does a rogue mean?" Riley questioned slowly as if testing the syllable.

"Rogue are those wolves who don't belong to a pack and are rebels. Always causing trouble and shedding blood the innocents. They have been driven mad and lost their conscience." Ace muttered darkly.

"Oh I'm terribly wounded, Alpha. What a lovely way to describe us! But we beg to differ." A dark voice came out of the dark. And three shadows emerged from the woods.

Author's Note:
Salam everyone, so as I promised, I'll be frequent with my updates. Here ya go. Woah Riley can see ghosts. Bet ya'll didn't see that coming. And my boi Ace is making a little progress here with Riley, how cute. And Eli is back with his wittiness, I'm sure y'all missed him. But guess who else is back???
Thank y'all for the support. Vote & comment
please, it would be genuinely appreciated.
Lots of love♥️
Falah