Chapter 16

It was a silent atmosphere in the dining room

It was a silent atmosphere in the dining room. Only the sound of metals clinking could be heard as there were two figures sitting very far away, almost across the room. Key word almost.

The tension was thick enough to be cut with a knife that currently Riley was using to cut the served meat in her plate.

Ace was sitting at the other end, staring at Riley, trying to strike a conversation that could take this deafening silence.

"Do you like the dinner? If you don't, we could get you something else. Is your bedroom alright or do you want another one? Is your bed comfortable enough to sleep on—" Ace cleared his throat & rushed out while glancing at her.

"I'm fine." She said blankly.

Ace let out a sigh while gesturing one of the maids, who were standing in the corner, to clear his plate away.

"Riley, look, I know I'm an asshole but I don't wanna be that asshole to you. Like I wanna be a better person for you........Is the idea of being my mate that repulsive to you? D-Do you....despise me that much?" Ace said with a pained look on his face.

Yes, he's a player, a womaniser or a Casanova. List down all the bad things, that he is. But ever since he met Riley, he doesn't wanna be that way anymore. Just the mere thought of Riley makes his heart pound like never before.

Frankly, he didn't believe this mate bullshit. He thought that being mates with someone would be boring and would end all his fun.

But all these thoughts vanished as soon as he met Riley. If there has to be someone perfect for him, then that's Riley. She's the only one who could tame his inner beast without even running for hills. She's the one who wouldn't and won't bow down before him. She'll stand tall and fight him with everything she's got.

And lastly, she's the only one who could look into his demons and smile.

"I don't hate you Ace. I-I'm just confused.....overwhelmed with whatever is going on. I mean I was once a normal girl with a normal life and a normal job. But all this changed in a heartbeat. It took one night, only one night to turn all this around." Riley voiced out, while twirling her fork around the pasta that she had been eating.

"Just give me some time and I promise I'll be fine." She said while pushing her chair back and walking out of the room.

As she was almost out of the room, she stopped and turned back to Ace.

"Thank you Ace. For everything." Riley smiled at him and then walked off, leaving Ace to his thoughts.

Ace, who was left speechless as Riley has never been this kind to him, let alone smile. But she smiled. And it was the most beautiful thing he has ever
witnessed.

He have met several women in his life. He had his fair share but none could come close to this exotic creature named as Riley.

Those two different irises were unique yet so beautiful. One was the colour of warm hazel and the other one was icy grey. So warm yet so cold. It was such a beautiful combination. Her eyes have a certain spark which is prettier than the stars.

And those very eyes hold such a power which can make any mighty man kneel before her. She truly is a Queen.

His Queen.

Later that night, Ace was in his study, going through some documents of his kingdom while enjoying a glass of whiskey.

There was a knock at the door and peaked in Elijah, the Beta himself.

"Hey there Alpha. So how's it going with Luna? She seems pretty tough and.....angry like someone pissed in her cheerios." Elijah smirked at Ace.

"Do you wanna get punched in the face or do you wanna get your balls kicked, Eli?" Ace smirked back.

"Touché. Hmph. Anyway, there has been a spotting or rogue near the borders and we may have found something disturbing. The rogue has some line from the inside helping him out." Elijah's whole demeanour changed.

Ace, who was going through the papers paused and looked at Elijah. He put the pile of papers down and lean back into his chair while loosening his tie.

"Hmmm......looks like we've got a traitor on our hands. How interesting." Ace let out a cold smile while his eyes flash golden, indicating his wolf taking over.

"Seal the borders. Make sure that every activity is regulated and the entry- exit of the people is in surveillance. We don't want any casualties. I don't want those filthy motherfückers near Riley." Ace growled out.

The mere thought of Riley being in danger awoke his inner demons.

"Yes, Alpha. Certainly. We'll patrol across the parameters and I'll station some guards at the palace to tend to Luna." Elijah replied seriously.

Ace nodded at Elijah and then the latter left. Ace reached towards his temples and gave it a little pressure. He could feel the growing pain in his head which was a a result of too much work and stress.

As soon as he was about to take a last gulp of that whiskey, the door was furiously opened and revealed a distressed looking Riley.

"Ace, can I talk to you?" Riley said nervously while looking him in the eye.

Ace, confused, but nonetheless nodded and motioned her to take a seat in front of him. Riley took a few steps forward but then stopped and looked at her right with a disturbed expression on her face.

"Riley? Baby, what's wrong?" Ace asked, concerned.

Riley just shook her head and walk towards the gestured chair. As soon as she takes a seat, Ace sits straight and rests his both palms on the table.

For a few minutes, nobody said anything. One was looking down while fidgeting while the other was looking at the former with a concerned gaze.

"A-Ace, I-I.....see dead people. All the time. They whisper things to me."

Author's note:
Whaaaatttttt!!!! Riley can see dead people. Dayummm, the shit gets interesting & interesting with every chapter. I wonder how's Ace gonna react to this. Stay tuned to find out. Lots of love 💓
Falah