Chapter 6

"Ace........Ace......Ace...."

Riley's mind was revolving around the name. It was being played like goddamn tape recorder.

"Woah, you look like shit, mate. Looks like you couldn't catch a wink last night." Jake stated.

"Yea? Is it that obvious?" Riley asked.

"Oooooo so I am right about it, huh? Tell me. What's bothering you?" Jake asked.

Riley looked at Jake. Jake was her colleague and a good friend. With dirty blonde hair and baby blue eyes, there was no doubt that Jake was definitely a looker. He was also pretty broad and tall, around 5'11. He had a lean but built physique that indicated he does spend some time in gym. He was usually the hot topic of the female staff in the clinic. He was a charming guy.

"It's nothing. Don't worry. I'm just tired, that's it." Riley lied.

"It's fine if you don't want to tell me. But just know this, if you ever need me, I'm here, alright?" Jake patted her shoulder and left.

Riley smiled at her friend and then got back to her work.

It was lunch time already and Riley had finished almost all of her work yet some documents were left to go through.

She went to a nearby cafe and waited in the queue of customers, patiently. When it was her turn, she ordered a croissant and a strong coffee for herself. She paid the cashier, collected her order and left.

Riley walked back to her clinic and went straight to her chamber and started devouring her lunch as she was starving.

She went through all the documents again and got them copied and by the time she was done, sun had set long ago and it was completely dark. She checked the digital clock that was kept on the table. It read 7:34 p.m.

"Wow. Time sure flies. At least I got my work done." Riley exhaled.

She packed her stuff and locked all the doors and windows. She stepped out of the clinic and walked towards her car. She was just a few inches away from her car when she heard a growl.

She turned around and saw a big, scary and ugly looking wolf with its razor sharp teeth on display and saliva dripping from its mouth.

Riley was paralysed in due to fear and her heart was pounding so hard that she could literally feel it through her chest, as if it's gonna jump out.

"Easy there, doggy." She tried to calm it down while her hands were held out in the front symbolising that she's no threat to it.

But the doggy did not like the name it was given and snarled even louder at her. It took an offensive stance and started taking slow and predatory steps towards her.

Now Riley was shaking in fear and didn't know what to do.

"Those monstrous teeth are gonna dig deep into my neck and that shit is going to hurt like a bitch." She thought mentally to herself.

The ugly wolf lunged at Riley. Afraid, she closed her eyes and prepared herself for the immense pain.

"This is it." She whispered.

But the expected pain didn't come. Instead there was another big, sleek black wolf standing in front of her as if protecting her. It was definitely way bigger than the ugly brown wolf. It was beautiful. It had sparkling green eyes which seemed pretty familiar.

The beautiful wolf turned around to glance at Riley and boy, those eyes spoke a lot. But then it turned its attention towards the other bloody wolf which was still snarling at Riley.

The black wolf didn't like the threat it was posing at Riley, growled menacingly. The ugly wolf charged at the black wolf and tried to bite its neck off.

The black wolf tried to take charge of the situation by rolling it on the other side of the ground and did succeed in doing so.

The ugly wolf tried to get up but the black wolf didn't give it a chance and in a lightning like speed, the black wolf tore the neck of the other wolf.

The injured wolf howled one last time and then collapsed, dead. There was big puddle of blood all around them.

Riley, still frozen in shock, just stood there, trying to take everything in, which was a little difficult but she was handling it just fine.

The black wolf looked at Riley and just stared. Riley met the wolf's green eyes and wondered why it's looking at her.

"What, you wanna eat me too?" Riley asked the wolf, pissed.

The wolf nod it's head in a yes with a wolfish grin and started taking steps near her.

Riley's eyes widened at this action and took a few steps back.

"I'm not at all delicious, I swear. You wouldn't- wait did you just nod? Does that mean you can understand what I'm saying?" Riley rambled on.

The wolf stopped and rolled its eyes. Yes, rolled.

"Ok. Rude much." Riley snapped.

"Can you really understand me?" Riley asked, hesitant.

The wolf again nodded it's head as yes. Riley squealed and started laughing like a maniac.

"That's so cool. Abnormal but cool." Riley smiled. Then asked, "Do you have a name?"

The wolf just shrugged. Yea, he really shrugged.

"Then I'll give you a name, huh? How about that?" Riley said, smirking.

The wolf again just shrugged and it was from then on their special bond was born.