Chapter 23

Chapter 23.

Magnolia sat with the Slytherin and Durmstrang students in the Great Hall eating dinner, unsure of some of the things that had appeared on the table. She thought that they must be dishes from the other schools' countries and did try some of the dishes.

The students were all bonding and had all laughed when Magnolia had tried an innocent looking dish that had turned out to be slimy and spicy and had made her practically choke with distaste. Henrik, the boy who had given Magnolia his cloak, had begun to explain what the dish was but Magnolia quickly stopped him; she preferred not to know.

As the desserts disappeared, Dumbledore stood up and everyone turned to look at him. He introduced Mr Crouch and Mr Bagman that Magnolia had met at the Quidditch World Cup, they had been working to make the Triwizard Tournament happen and were judging alongside the Head's of each of the schools. Filch had placed a large wooden chest in front of Dumbledore.

"As you know, three champions compete in the Tournament." Dumbledore began, "One from each of the participating schools. They will be marked on how well they perform each of the Tournament tasks and the champion with the highest total after task three will win the Triwizard Cup. The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector... the Goblet of Fire."

Magnolia watched in awe as Dumbledore tapped the chest with his wand and reached inside, pulling out a large wooden cup. Magnolia revelled at the blue flames that licked the top of the cup as Dumbledore placed it on top of the now closed chest.

"Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school on a slip of parchment and place it in the Goblet before tomorrow night, when the Goblet will return the three names of those who will represent their school."

Magnolia could feel the buzz around the Hall as Dumbledore spoke, Henrik and Viktor were talking to their school mates about the Goblet and tasks. The older Slytherins were discussing entering and the younger years were trying to think how they could cross Dumbledore's Age Line.

"Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the Tournament through to the end. The placing of your name in the Goblet constitutes a binding magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become champion. Please be very sure that you are whole-heartedly prepared to play before you drop your name into the Goblet. Now, I think it is time for bed. Goodnight to you all."

Magnolia didn't know how anyone would sleep that night; everyone was too excited at the start of the Tournament. She handed Henrik his cloak as they stood up and thanked him again. The Durmstrang's were going back to the ship to sleep so they bid farewell to the Slytherin students they had been sat with.

Magnolia followed her own friends out of the Great Hall, until she felt a hand on her arm. George had run across the Great Hall as he had seen her leave, Fred not far behind him.

"Amazing, isn't it?" George asked, excitedly, "Will you meet me here tomorrow?"

"Of course, but you're not planning on entering, are you? You won't make it past Dumbledore's Age Line."

George tapped Magnolia's nose, "Don't you worry about that."

"We're only a few months too young, a little Ageing Potion should be enough." Fred continued.

Magnolia laughed; this was not going to go well for the twins. She told George that she would meet him by the Great Hall the following day, then jogged to catch up with her friends. Pansy looped their arms together and glanced at Magnolia with an exasperated face.

"I honestly don't know how you do it." Pansy repeated as they walked into the Common Room.

The two girls joined the rest of their friends on the armchairs, Magnolia sat on the floor and leant against the seat Daphne and Tracey were sat in.