Chapter 5

Chapter 5.

As Christmas approached, snow also arrived at Hogwarts. Magnolia had enjoyed the snow for the first time in her life, having been woken by Tracey early on the first morning it coated the grounds. The two of them, along with Daphne, Blaise Zabini and Theodore Nott had all gone out to the grounds before anybody else had had a chance to disrupt the snow and had a snowball fight before breakfast. The group bustled into the Great Hall, still laughing, Magnolia and Blaise quickly taking their wet cloaks off after they'd tried tackling each other and both ended up lying the snow.

Magnolia had been involved in a few snowball fights; some with fellow Slytherins, some with Gryffindors and one particularly intense fight between the two that a few teachers had ended up having to break up. Fred and George had pulled Magnolia behind a statue with them on her way to meet Harry one afternoon, to show her Quirrell walk down the hall with snowballs following him and bouncing off the back of his turban. The three had laughed as their Professor had broken into a run to get away from the snowballs that continued to follow him.

One morning, a week or so before Christmas, Professor Snape had walked up the Slytherin table taking names of the students who would be staying at Hogwarts for the break. Magnolia had immediately given her name, relieved that she wouldn't have to go back to the Dursley's for the break. She'd also found out that a few Slytherins would be staying behind too.

"I feel sorry for the people who have to stay here over Christmas," Malfoy had said loud enough for Magnolia to hear, "Simply because they're not wanted at home."

Magnolia had laughed at him, "Don't feel sorry for us, Malfoy. Those of us staying behind actually enjoy each other's company, unlike what you're going back to."

Malfoy had growled at her and walked away then, Crabbe and Goyle dutifully following him out of the Great Hall. Magnolia honestly didn't feel sorry for herself. Those who were staying behind had already made plans for their break together.

The night before the holidays started, Magnolia was sat in front of the fire in the Common Room, watching as Theo played Malfoy at Wizarding Chess. Magnolia didn't know anything about chess so couldn't tell who was winning, but she enjoyed watching the pieces come to life and smash the others. Pansy skipped up to Magnolia's seat and sat next to her friend.

"Let's have a slumber party." She grinned.

"A slumber party?"

"Yeah, we can have a Pre- Christmas slumber party. I don't like to think of you stuck here without us over the holidays."

Malfoy sniggered at that, but Theo looked up offended.

"Hey! I'll still be here!"

"Yeah, but you're not a girl so you don't count." Daphne retorted as she and Tracey joined the group. "Come on, Mags, please."

"Will I count if I go and get you ladies snacks?" Theo asked, grinning as his knight smashed through one of Malfoys bishops.

"If there are snacks, I'm definitely in." Magnolia laughed.

"Let's finish the game first," Malfoy interrupted, "Then we can get the girls snacks."

Magnolia frowned, did Draco Malfoy just offer to do something for somebody else? Mr Self Centred? Was he feeling ok? Next to Magnolia, Pansy squealed with delight and hugged Malfoy. Tracey and Magnolia looked at each other, both rolling their eyes at Pansy. Tracey knew, and agreed, with Magnolia's feelings about Malfoy; she was a Half-blood and had been insulted by Malfoy early in the year because of it.

"Great!" Daphne smiled, "Let's go get ready!"

"Yeah, I'm sure Theo will have beaten Malfoy by the time we're ready." Magnolia sniggered, winking at Theo who sent her a wink back.