Chapter 12

Chapter 12.

Magnolia was sat in a compartment on the Hogwarts Express with her brother, Hermione, and Ron, staring at the sleeping man they shared the compartment with. She couldn't shake the feeling that she knew the man. R J Lupin. He must be their new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher.

Harry was telling Hermione and Ron about his conversation with Mr Weasley before they had gotten on the train. Mr Weasley had the same idea as Magnolia; he was worried that Harry would go looking for Sirius Black. Unfortunately, Ron and Hermione were taking the news about Sirius Black very badly. They seemed to be more frightened then the twins about the escaped man.

Not too much later, after the four students had filled up on the sweets they had brought from the trolley the train started to slow down, causing Magnolia to frown. They hadn't been on the train long enough for them to be at Hogwarts yet. As the rain slowed to a complete stop all the lights went out.

Harry stood up and looked out of the compartment door up and down the carriage, telling them that it was the same throughout the train. Magnolia stayed where she was on her seat, unsure of what was happening. Ron had moved to the window and was looking out of it intently.

"There's something out there." He whispered. "It looks like someone is coming aboard."

"Coming aboard?" Magnolia questioned, "We're in the middle of nowhere!"

"I'm going to ask the driver what's happening." Hermione decided.

"Stay where you are."

A new voice made Magnolia jump in fright before she realised it had come from their new Professor. Suddenly, the compartment was dimly light by Professor Lupin who appeared to be holding a small fire in his hand. He stood, motioning for the students to return to their seats, and took a step towards the compartment door.

It opened before he could get to it though and a cloaked figure appeared in the doorway. Magnolia felt all the heat leave her body and shivered violently. She couldn't take her eyes off the dark figure. A feeling of pure dread washed through Magnolia's body, leaving an icy feeling from her head to her toes. And then, she felt nothing. Absolutely nothing.

The figure glided into the compartment as the numbness settled into Magnolia's body. She could hear whispers, but she was sure they weren't coming from her friends. It was a familiar voice, sickly sweet in her ear. Her body felt weak as the voice spoke to her and the hooded figure approached her, until she couldn't hold her head up anymore.

Magnolia could see the darkness sweeping in from the edges of her vision until it took her over completely and, as she gave in to the blackness she heard one last voice. This wasn't a whisper though. This voice was strong and confident. Tom Riddle's voice echoing through Magnolia's head was the last thing she heard as she slipped away.

'I'll take good care of you.'

"Harry... Magnolia... are you alright?"

Magnolia could feel hands on her shoulders, softly shaking her, as the voice called her and her brother. She opened her eyes slowly, the lights had come back on in the carriage, and looked around. Harry was being helped onto his sit by Hermione and Ron. Magnolia looked back at the person holding her. Green eyes, full of worry, were looking down at her.

"What happened? Where is that thing? Who screamed?"

Professor Lupin let go of Magnolia as the two looked to Harry. Magnolia frowned; she hadn't heard a scream. Looking around the compartment quickly, Magnolia remembered what she had heard. Tom Riddle wasn't here, but his voice had sounded in her head like he had been right beside her. No one else had a heard a scream either, and Magnolia decided not to say anything about her own experience. A piece of chocolate was handed to her then, from Professor Lupin, who handed everyone a bit.