20| Secrets

Peter's pov.

There is something different about swinging around the Queens' skyscrapers, the different thing might be the fact that it's not exactly casual for people to be swinging on organic spider silk for locomotion but what can I say, we can't all be same...

I land on top of a tall building, my eyes scanning the city for anything out of normal, just the usual patrolling. I sigh and sit over the ledge, grabbing a churro from the secret pocket, a kind lady offered as a gift of gratitude.

My mind races over the incidents of the last few days as the serenity of the atmosphere swallows me. Everything was going all smooth, I had an amazing internship with the Tony Stark, heck I was friends with the Avengers but then came the Oscorp trip and everything went downhill. The fun memories of the tower got swiftly replaced by the haunting blue eyes and the bruises and cuts from hours of patrolling.

Gotta make the burden a little lighter...

It's never easy to move on, a lesson I learned the hard way. Nine years, that's pretty sufficient time to get over people, or that's what I thought. The illusion of getting over Ben's death shattered after the plaguing nightmares returned, and this time, I have a lot to lose, a lot which I can't afford to.

Life is a mess, with May and Mr Stark constantly having those doubtful and concerned looks painted across their features, with Flash's torments getting worse and worse along with the heaviness of the guilt, life is indeed a big mess.

I am snapped out of my thoughts on the sound of a huge explosion. I swiftly jump from the ledge, free-falling for a few moments before shooting out a web and swinging in the direction of the explosion.

Duty calls...

I reach the destination in record time, my eyes widen on the sight of bright red flames swallowing the side of an apartment complex. This is weird. Apartments on fire aren't exactly rare but this, this different...it's almost as if some bomb went off, but, unintentionally.

"Help!" A hoarse scream snaps me out of my train of thoughts and it clicks me that there are people in there. I climb up the wall as the stairs were blocked by huge debris. My eyes fall upon a family of four just as I climb over the window edge, the family looks at me wide-eyed.

How am I supposed to get everyone out on time? Of course, they aren't the only one and it's just a matter of time before everyone stuck will suffocate to death. No, no more ghosts. My eyes frantically run around, searching for some sort of safe exit and then suddenly an idea pops up in my head.

I turn to look down the window, my eyes running over the pillars just below. A safety net, that can work. I notice the flashes from reporter vans and the distant sound of ambulance and fire-fighter team. My eyes sweep over the terrified family.

This is the only way...

I rapidly shoot out webs from my web-shooters, creating a safety net for a safe landing, I look at it with satisfaction and then turn to the family. "Look, I know this might sound scary but you guys need to jump out this window."

"What?!" I cringe at the loud yell. "Look, we don't have much time. Trust me, the police will get you from there, just a small leap." I explain them as patiently I could, my heart accelerating with each passing second.

"Okay, okay, we trust you. You sure that will be able to support our weights?" A blonde man asks, pointing towards the net. "I am sure, sir." The man nods and then turn to his family. "I am going first, I'll make sure it's safe. You get the kids." The man kisses the red-haired woman's forehead and then jumps out without a second thought and I watch the safety net cushion his fall.