twenty-seven | deserved so much more

CARSON FELT EXTREMELY UNEASY as they pulled up to JJ's house

CARSON FELT EXTREMELY UNEASY as they pulled up to JJ's house. All she could think of was the dark bruises that adorned his skin the hot tub night and the broken look in his eyes. It was clear that Kiara and JJ had been feeling the same way by the sound of silence in the car.

"Home sweet home," JJ finally said. Kiara made eye contact with Carson through the mirror. She didn't have to say anything. Carson already knew what she was trying to say. She hopped out of the car as JJ did the same. "What're you doing?"

"Coming in with you," she said. He went to open his mouth to tell her she didn't have to, but she had already made up her mind. She was not going to let him go in there alone. "I want to." She needed to. He looked reluctant, more afraid of the fact that Carson could get hurt than anything else, but eventually nodded his head. He wouldn't admit it but knowing she was there already made him feel safe.

The house was a complete mess, but that wasn't what bothered her. It was Luke Maybank sleeping on the couch. Just knowing what he did to JJ made her want to put a pillow over his head... but she wasn't that crazy.

"Hey, Dad, I need the keys to the Phantom," JJ said. "Dad?" Carson picked up an orange bottle from the table and read the label: Ambien. She tapped JJ and handed it to him. He looked a mixture of frustrated and disappointed as he stared down at his pathetic excuse for a father. When he spotted the keys to the boat hanging around his neck, he reached down slowly. Carson held her breath in hopes that he wouldn't wake up.

JJ let out a shaky breath as he grabbed a pencil and a pair of tweezers to help get the keys off. The tension in the room was so thick it felt like they were trying to defuse a bomb. Then again, Luke was as unpredictable and deadly as a bomb.

The second Luke's eyes opened, Carson grabbed JJ's wrist. It wasn't much of an action, but she needed to feel like she could protect him. When it came down to it, she wasn't sure what she could really do to stop Luke, but maybe he wouldn't try anything if she was there.

"I didn't expect to see you," his dad said. "You're back." JJ leaned back as his dad started to push himself up on the couch.

"Yeah, no, I just- just checkin' in," JJ said lamely.

"School out already?" Carson furrowed her eyebrows in confusion at his question. It was summer.

"What?" JJ asked.

"Did you ditch?" He let out a small laugh. "It's alright. You can tell me."

"Yeah," JJ said. It was clear that Luke wasn't sober. He never was, but for once he actually seemed sort of calm. Carson pegged that to be because of the Ambien. "I hit the break, you know."

"I hated school too. My boy!" Luke said. He looked over at Carson, who was standing close against JJ's side with her hand now gripping onto his hand tightly. "My God, Carson. Look how grown up and beautiful you are."