nineteen | the best liar

IT WAS PRACTICALLY THE MORNING by the time John B dropped off JJ and Carson at her house

"See you in the morning, soldiers," he joked as he saluted him. They saluted him back before he pulled away to drop off the others. JJ wrapped his arm around Carson to help her limp into the house.

"We gotta be quiet. My mom's sleeping," she whispered as she slowly opened the door to try to be as sneaky as possible. That didn't seem to matter though because the lights in the kitchen flicked on and her mom was standing there with her arms folded across her chest. "Shit."

"Where have you been?" she asked.

"Uh, with my friends," Carson said, which wasn't a lie.

"Do you realize what time it is?" her mom said.

"Late."

"Late is right," she said. When she saw that Carson had her left foot raised and was using JJ for support, she frowned. "What happened?"

"I twisted my ankle," Carson explained. "It's fine. JJ was just helping me inside." And was also going to crash there for the night. Her mom looked over at JJ. Her frown turned into a smile at the sight of the blonde. Although she would always give Carson joking warnings about hanging with the guys, she actually loved JJ. She also always knew that they were going to end up together, which made the situation the perfect time for her to say something. "Hi, sweetheart. How have you been?"

"Hey, Penelope," JJ replied with his own smile. "I've been doin' good. How are you?"

"Oh, just fine. But you know, I ran into Kiara's mom in town yesterday and we just had the funniest conversation. She was telling me all about the Midsummers event, how our teenagers are out of control, the usual," she started. "But she also told me that she overheard a certain two of those teenagers were now together. Isn't that funny?"

Carson's eyes widened as she realized that her mom knew about the two of them. It's not like she was trying to hide it from her because really, she had been meaning on telling her, but with how crazy the last few days had been she hadn't found the chance.

"Wow, uh, yeah, that's some funny news," Carson said.

"So, JJ, seems as though you finally got the balls to admit your feelings for my daughter, huh?" her mom then said bluntly. This time, JJ's eyes widened at her words. He hadn't expected that.

"Mom!" Carson said.

"I mean, I was just waiting for this to happen because let's be honest, it was going to happen eventually," she said. "Now, I totally get it if you guys want to... you know. But just make sure you always use protection. I am way too hot and young to be a grandma yet."

"Oh my God! We are not talking about this right now," Carson screamed. JJ burst into laughter at how red Carson's cheeks were. Clearly her mom was just as amused because she had a devilish smirk on her face as she leaned against the counter. This was her way of getting back at Carson for having to find out from Kiara's mom, she knew that. She wasn't actually mad, but she wanted to tease her daughter a bit.