twenty-four | too dangerous

IT WAS THE SIGHT OF THE PLANE flying across the sky that made things worse

IT WAS THE SIGHT OF THE PLANE flying across the sky that made things worse. They already had no idea what was going on with John B, if he was even okay, and then the gold was gone. The situation couldn't get worse. Or at least that's what they thought.

"There goes the gold," JJ said.

"Shit!" Pope screamed. "Fuck!"

"Pope," Kiara said.

"God, damn it! Shit!" He took a baseball bat and started destroying the place as he continued to curse and scream. It was a side of Pope that none of them had ever seen before. He had reached his breaking point.

"I didn't even realize Pope could get like this," Carson mumbled. They just stood back and watched him get his anger out. He had every right to be angry.

"Pope," Kiara said again. He breathed heavily as he finally collapsed into the bench. "Pope."

"Yeah, dude," JJ said. "I was wondering when this was gonna happen." He walked over to where Carson and Kiara were standing beside Pope and held out his vape. "Here you go, chief. A little weed never hurt no one."

"JJ."

"Relax, Kie," he said.

"You know he doesn't smoke," she said. Clearly that wasn't going to stop Pope because he grabbed it from JJ.

"Well, maybe not until today," he said.

"Today's as good of a day as any," Carson said with a shrug as she sat next to Pope on the bench. She understand his anger, but she didn't have it in her to express it the same way that he had just done. If anything, she was just felt tired.

"Pope," Kiara said. "Yeah, what is that gonna help?"

"I lost my scholarship. I walked out in the middle of the interview," he told them. He sounded so defeated and disappointed in himself. Carson felt bad for him. He worked so hard for the opportunity and then he just gave it up for the gold, for them. "Everything- it's gone. It's not gonna happen."

"You did that for us?" she asked.

"No, not for us," he said. He stood up to look Kiara in the eyes. "For nothing." JJ was quick to grab him.

"I'm here for you, Pope," he said. "Welcome to my world, okay?" Carson shook her head at JJ's version of trying to comfort his friend. He was trying.

"JJ," Kiara started to say.

"What, Kie? He's right! It doesn't matter anymore." They watched as Pope lifted the vape to his mouth to take a hit.

"You don't have to do that," Kiara said. He let the smoke float out of his mouth before he turned to look at her.

"What do you care?" he said.

"Pope," Carson said. She stood up, about to defend Kiara for only trying to help when she heard someone behind her. When she turned her eyes widened at the sight of John B. He had blood covering his hands and he had a dazed look on his face. "Oh my God."