eighty-eight | never felt so good

IT TRUTHFULLY never felt so good to be back in the Outer Banks

IT TRUTHFULLY never felt so good to be back in the Outer Banks. At least when they were stuck on the island, they weren't running from guns or men trying to kill them. Of course this time they were coming back with actual gold and undeniable success, but it had cost a lot to get there. It was now 18 months since they got back and somehow everything felt different but also the same.

"An expedition of one man, John Routledge, and a group of teenagers, who are with us today. Locals, who grew up here and who succeeded where centuries of conquistadors, explorers, and admirals failed. Today, we come together to celebrate these teens, friends from both sides of the island, who came together to solve this 500-year-old mystery. Let's hear it for them!"

"Wonder who wrote that piece of shit for him," Carson said quietly to JJ, making him laugh in agreement.

"Guys," Kiara muttered. They looked over to see the rest of them standing, so the two of them reluctantly followed suit as the crowd cheered for them and their successes.

"I created the one in the blue dress! Hell yeah, that's my girl!" Penelope screamed from the crowd. Carson laughed at her mom's cheering and blew her a dramatic kiss, which Penelope pretended to catch.

"Who would have ever thought that we would be standing in front of a bunch of Kooks celebrating us?" Carson said to the group as they stood together after the ceremony.

"Who would have ever thought I'd be living in the Outer Banks using the word 'Kooks'?" Cleo joked.

"Good point," she said. Carson was just about to grab the joint from JJ's hand to celebrate themselves when an older man approached. JJ looked around before dropping the joint into a glass of champagne, figuring it wouldn't be a good look when they were finally getting some recognition for something other than just getting in trouble.

"Excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt," he said.

"Uh, can we help you?" Pope asked.

"Yes. I wanted to tell you all it's remarkable what you all did," the man said. "Royal Merchant, El Dorado, Denmark Tanny. Impressive resume, impressive. I was wondering if you would all be so kind as to look at an item of mine."

"Oh yeah? What type of item is that?" Cleo questioned.

"It's a manuscript." He unzipped his briefcase to pull the manuscript out. "I would investigate it myself, but I'm too long in the tooth. I need partners, and you all were first on my list."

"I'd love to see who was second," Carson joked. The man smiled softly.

"May I?" Pope asked.

"I was hoping you would," he said. He handed the manuscript over to Pope who opened it to read what was inside, the rest of them all leaning over out of pure curiosity.

"1718. Jeez, this is old. Exhibition notes, dates."

"This is a captain's log. This shows the exact position of the ship," John B said.

"The exact location where the ship sailed and where it stopped," the man said.

"Who was the captain?" JJ asked.

"Edward Teach. Blackbeard."

Carson looked over at JJ and John B and let out a loud laugh. "Here we go again, baby."

end of part three