thirty-six | kept their trust

CARSON FELT DISTRACTED as she took her test

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

    CARSON FELT DISTRACTED as she took her test. With everything that had been going on, she hadn't had much time to really study. School seemed less important than trying to clear John B's name of murder. That distraction just increased when Pope was being summoned out of the room.

Carson was curious what the man wanted to discuss with Pope so she began standing a bit at her seat to try to see out the open classroom door.

"Ms. Keller, is there something you need help with?" Mr. Sunn said.

"What?" she said. When she realized that she was fully standing at that point, she cleared her throat. "Oh, no, I'm good, and I swear I'm not cheating. Just, uh, stretching my legs."

"Right. Well, I recommend you take your seat," he said. She nodded her head and awkwardly sat back down. She could hear JJ laughing quietly under his breath next to her so she shot him a look as if to tell him to shut up.

It was only a few minutes later when Pope rushed back in. Carson's curiosity continued when she saw the shocked look on his face and the letter in his hands. It seemed as though she wasn't the only one wondering what it was because Kiara was asking him about it. He held out the letter to show them the seal.

"Is that the wheat symbol?" Kiara asked.

"Yeah."

"What the f-" JJ started to say before stopping himself as Mr. Sunn was staring at him. "Fu- fudge?"

The test just seemed to drag on before the bell finally rang and they were free to discuss the letter openly.

"Is this a game of tag?" JJ asked as they rushed into the library.

"I don't know," Kiara said.

"Am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?" JJ continued. The librarian hushed them as they walked in, so Carson shot her an overly fake smile in apology before pushing JJ forward.

"Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane," Kiara said.

"Can you please fill us in on what he said to you?" Carson said.

"Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this. Read it," he said as he handed the letter to JJ. He stared at for a few seconds before casting his eyes back up to them.

"I can't read cursive," he admitted. Carson rolled her eyes as Kiara snatched the letter away from him.

"I'm surprised you can even read at all," Carson said.

"Remind me why I decided to date you," he replied.

"Because I'm hot and no one else wants to date you," she said.

"That's not true," he said. She raised her eyebrows at him and crossed her arms against her chest.

"Which part isn't true, JJ?"

"The second part, obviously," he said.

"Can we please focus?" Pope said, reeling the couple back into the current situation of what the letter said.

"Thank you, Pope," Kiara said before beginning to read the letter. "'Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge. It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my office at 27 King Street in Charleston at 8pm sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey.'"

"Charleston?" JJ said.

"I know. It's like an eight-hour drive plus the ferry," Pope said. "How will we get there tonight?"

"We'd have to leave like right now," JJ said.

"I have a free period," Kiara said.

"And I don't feel like being here, so that works out great," Carson said.

"'Material evidence'? What does that even mean, 'material evidence'?" JJ said.

"It means he can clear John B," Kiara told him.

"Oh, shit, then we're going to Charleston," JJ said loudly.

Before they could make the trip to Charleston, they had to stop at Carson's and Kiara's so that they could tell their parents. They all knew Carson's stop would be much quicker and easier than Kiara's so they headed their first. Carson knew she could have just gone without telling her mom but she felt it was the decent thing to do. While JJ had no one to tell and Pope's method was by keeping it a secret from his dad, telling her mom was the way that Carson kept their trust going.

"Hey, Mom," Carson said as she casually strolled into her house as if the last time that she had been living there wasn't weeks ago.

"Hey, baby," she said.

"Morning, Penelope," JJ greeted her happily as he walked in behind Carson.

"Hey, baby," she repeated.

"Ha, I get called baby too. You're not so special," JJ said as he poked Carson in the side. She rolled her eyes and swatted his hand away before leaning against the counter.

"So you remember when I told you that we found out John B is still alive?" Carson started.

"Of course," her mom said. When Carson had told her that he was still alive, Penelope felt an immense amount of joy. He was like a son to her so when they all thought he was dead, it had hurt her both because she cared about him and also because she knew that Carson was hurting. He was still a fugitive but at least he was alive.

"Well, there might be a way that we can clear his name," Carson told her.

"That's great!"

"But we have to go to Charleston," JJ said. "Like today."

"Charleston?" she asked.

"Pope got sent some letter that states this person named Limbrey has evidence that can prove he's innocent," Carson explained.

"How do you know it's real?" she pointed out.

"We don't, but there's only one way to find out," Carson said.

"So, you're going to Charleston," her mom said. She said it more as a statement than a question, but that was probably because she knew Carson was planning on going regardless of her permission. Either way, Penelope was not going to hold Carson back if it meant possibly clearing John B's name.

"Yeah."

"Then what are you doing standing here talking to me?" she said. "You've got a long way to go." Carson and JJ smiled at her in appreciation of her support, which was not going to come as easily from Kiara's parents later on. They were just about to walk out the door when she called out to them again. "Oh, and JJ? Next time you send my daughter down into a sewer drain, I'll make sure you get in contact with those worms that come out your pecker."

JJ's eyes widened as he turned his head to look at Carson who was laughing.

"You told her?"

"Sorry, baby."