sixty-nine | exactly what she needed

IT WAS SUCH A RELIEF knowing that Big John was alive and well, but eventually Carson had to leave to actually go see her mom

IT WAS SUCH A RELIEF knowing that Big John was alive and well, but eventually Carson had to leave to actually go see her mom. She had been left wondering what had happened to the teenagers for so long that she deserved to know that Carson herself was alive and well. After saying goodbye to John B, Big John, and Sarah, she made her way back home. It was early enough in the morning that she figured her mom wouldn't have left for work yet. Typically she would have just walked in, but she didn't want to scare her either so she knocked on the front door and waited for a response. It felt weird to be standing on the front porch like this wasn't her home, but it hadn't been for a while.

"Whatever you're selling, I don't want it," her mom's voice said on the other side of the door before she opened it. When she did open it and realized it was Carson, her face shifted from a look of annoyance to one of shock and relief.

"What if it was your daughter? Would you want it then?" Carson joked. Her mom immediately pulled her in for a hug and squeezed her like she was going to disappear again if she didn't just hold onto her for dear life.

"Oh, honey, you're priceless so of course I'd want it," her mom joked back. Maybe it was because she hadn't seen her in so long or maybe it was because she was still feeling everything from what happened with JJ and the fact that she just saw Big John after thinking he had been dead this whole time, but Carson felt tears hot in her eyes as she took in her mom's beachy scent. When they pulled back from each other and her mom saw this, her own tears formed. "Dammit, look what you're making me do. I just got this brand new mascara and you're already making me ruin it."

"I missed you," Carson told her.

"I missed you too. More than you could know," she replied. "Where's JJ?" She figured her mom would ask about him, especially because he wasn't there with her.

"We kinda got in a fight," she disclosed.

"About what?"

"I thought there was something going on between him and Kie," she said. They walked further into the house until they were in the kitchen. While Penelope poured each of them a glass of lemonade, Carson pushed herself up to sit on the countertop.

"Is there?"

"He said there isn't," Carson said. "What do you think?" Her mom was probably one of the most honest people that she knew, so she would tell her what she really thought, even if it wasn't something that she wanted to hear.

"I think the only JJ loves more than stealing shit... is you," Penelope said truthfully. She ran a hand through Carson's hair and gave her a reassuring smile. "I don't think he would ever do that to you."

"Is it bad I accused him of it?" Carson asked. She was starting to feel guilty about even accusing of JJ of sneaking around with Kiara behind her back, especially when they were together so often that it would have nearly been impossible for that to be happening. It was just the high tensions of everything from before the island, to the island, and after. The one small intrusive thought just spiraled into something greater.

"No. I think if that's how you felt, then you had every right to bring it up," Penelope said. "But cut him some slack, Car. He's just trying his best, just like everyone else." Talking to her mom felt like a huge weight was lifted off her chest. It was exactly what she needed after everything and it made her feel like she could move past this. "Now, if you feel ready to go rekindle your undying love for each other, I'd like to come with you because I miss that blonde-haired delinquent just as much and I'm sure he needs a bit of parental love right now."

"Would you like to just adopt him at this point?" Carson teased, finding amusement in how much her mom loved JJ. Not many parents would be particularly fond of him, but she supposed Penelope just knew him better than what people stereotyped him to be.

"No, that'd be weird. Incest is a no-go in my household," Penelope said. Carson laughed then jumped down from the counter.

Carson didn't know where else to start besides his house, but the sight of the eviction notice on the door made her frown. She was sure that didn't go over well with him and she wished that she had been there for him so he didn't have to deal with that alone. Being there now she hoped he would let her be. For all she knew, he was still pissed about what she had said to him. Honestly, she wouldn't blame him if he was.

She had been planning on just knocking on the front door but with it taped up, she walked around the side and found one of the windows propped open.

"Give me a boost," she said to her mom. Penelope walked over and helped lift Carson into the window, but she must have thought she was heavier than she was because Carson ended up flying in through the window and crashing down onto the floor. Empty beer cans went scattering across the floor as she rubbed her hands that slammed against the hardwood floor.

"Sorry! Forgot you were living on an island with no food," Penelope said.

"What in the f-" Carson glanced up to see JJ staring at her as he sat on the couch with a beer can in his hand.

"Hi," she said. JJ stood up and peeked out the window to see Penelope standing outside with a large smile on her face.

"You gonna just stand there or you gonna toss me a beer, Maybank?" Penelope called out to him. Even if he wasn't happy to see Carson, the smile on his face told her that he was at least happy to see her mom. He grabbed one from the table and tossed it out the window to her.

"Nice to see you, Penelope," he said genuinely. "Better enjoy that 'cause it's my last one."

"I'll savor every last sip," she joked. He laughed then looked back to see Carson finally getting to her feet. "Alright, I just wanted to see and make sure you were alive for myself, and now that I've confirmed my daughter didn't kill you on the island and leave you for dead, have fun with the not-so-fun conversation that I'm sure the two of you are going to have now." Penelope held her beer up to them in a "cheers" then sauntered off back to the car. Now it was just the two of them.