Monday morning squabbles and Ultimatums

IYOMA

It wasn't until monday morning that the girls spoke again, Ehi had stayed in her room all through sunday except for the times she took bathroom breaks and meal time breaks.

Even when Iyoma had knocked at her door and tried to get her to come out, Ehi had ignored her and remained in her room.

Iyoma tried her luck again on Monday morning when Ehi was making coffee for her breakfast in the kitchen.

'Ehi, I know I made you mad but this silent treatment has gone too far, don't you think?' Iyoma asked.

Ehi rolled her eyes as she added a little amount of sugar to her coffee and stirred it. 'Gone too far? I haven't talked to you in only two days, I don't think that's enough silent treatment yet' Ehi said sipping her coffee now.

Iyoma pouted 'You know I don't like it when you're angry at me, everyone is angry at me. It's too much na. You, even Bisi is still mad at me. He hasn't taken my calls or replied my texts for how many days now, honestly it feels like weeks now...' Iyoma rambled.

Ehi shot her an irritated look, 'Honestly, is Olabisi the only thing you think about?' she asked not hiding her irritation.

Iyoma shook her head 'Ahan Ehi, are you still angry at me? This one you're sounding like this. I said I'm sorry na' Iyoma said.

Ehi sighed and dropped her cup of coffee, Iyoma often behaved like a little girl so she often dealt with her like one. Today she wasn't even in the mood to deal with anything but monday morning stress.

'I'm not angry at you, can I rest now?' Ehi asked irritated and walked quickly to the sitting room. It was still early in the morning and she was trying to rest a bit before leaving for work. Iyoma was doing a fine job ruining her moment.

Iyoma followed Ehi to the sitting room. 'I'm glad you're not mad at me anymore and I don't want to disturb you now that we're on good terms again but I really need a favor from you' Iyoma said biting her lips.

Ehi frowned 'What is it? And please just know I don't have any more money to spare. I gave you an allowance already, it's not my business if you've finished it. I don't have any more money for you please' Ehi said harshly.

Iyoma shook her head at her best friend 'Ehi why are you even behaving like this, when I had the money didn't I do everything in this house?' Iyoma asked getting upset.

'That was five years ago Iyoma, now you don't have any money. Shouldn't you be working to get some?' Ehi asked equally upset.

'Is that what friends do, treat the other like a liability when they are lacking something?' Iyoma asked glaring at Ehi.

Ehi glared back 'Friends encourage and motivate each other, haven't I done enough encouragement and motivation already? Five years ago your dad died and left you only three million naira, granted...that's not a lot of money but it's still good money. What did you do with it? You came to Lagos in style, rented a two bedroom flat for five hundred thousand despite my warnings. Still against my warnings, you bought luxurious furniture and appliances we could have been okay without. You spent one point some thing in a month, I finally convinced you to save the rest for business. Boom you met Bisi, you bought him the latest iPhone for his birthday, you bought him a MacBook on valentine's day, you kept on buying him expensive gifts till you used up another one million before the year ran out. I advised you to get a job then but you refused, you said you wanted to get into forex, you were duped and that was how you lost more money. Is it Bisi that is paying our five hundred thousand naira house rent excluding other expenses? You think because I'm earning just one hundred and twenty thousand naira I'm a big babe? I give you allowance, I have a pension plan, I save up for our house rent every month so we don't get kicked out when it expires. Na company car I dey drive but na me dey pay for expenses, I still have to send my family monthly allowance, after all these expenses here and there what is left for me Iyoma? We are broke! Yet when I tell you to get a job, you talk about Bisi. Iyoma did something break in your head? Is the yoruba demon myth true and is he using jazz on you? Tell me now make I hammer you deliverance slap because e be like say you don dey ment!' Ehi raged.

Iyoma remained silent and watched helplessly. There wasn't a word she could say to defend herself at the moment not when Ehi was angry anyways.

'What happens if....God forbid I lose my job Iyoma? what will happen to us, will Olabisi support us?' Ehi asked calmly.

'If you lose your job, we could survive on your pension plan till we get back on our feet I suppose...' Iyoma said in a small voice.

'My pension plan?...' Ehi laughed sarcastically. 'May God punish your yeye mouth' She clicked her tongue.

Iyoma glared at her 'God forbid, look I know you're upset but don't curse me oh. I know you're trying and I appreciate, it's hard to get a job now in Lagos and you know this. I'm really trying...I'm trying you know...' Iyoma said defensively.

'When my company was hiring I asked you to apply, you ignored me. I even asked you to prepare me your cv, let me submit it for you, you ignored me. Different job opportunities I've presented to you but you've refused because you've employed yourself as iyawo Olabisi. Don't tell me you're trying because we both know you're not trying' Ehi said.

'But Ehi you work in a hotel nau, we both know Bisi won't allow me to work in a hotel. And the other jobs opportunities were also in hotels, bars and clubs. You know Bisi wouldn't allow me' Iyoma said.

Ehi eyed her irritated 'Bisi is not your husband yet but he's making every decision for you. He won't allow you to work in all those places but he can't pay you monthly as his unemployed girlfriend that he doesn't want to work. You know you don't have sense, you talk like an idiot sometimes' Ehi said.

Iyoma hissed 'Insult me all you want, since that is what you derive joy from, insult me' Iyoma said beginning to cry.

Ehi rolled her eyes at her dramatic friend 'You better stop crying, if you like don't get a job. It's alright, I don't have a choice I'll look after you. You're more than a friend, you're a sister to me. And we both know you have no one else, your step mother hates you and your sweet mother her soul rest in peace left you in the care of my mother. My mother is not here now so I'm taking up her responsibility, keep on behaving like a baby ehn' Ehi's voice was dripping with sarcasm as she spoke.

Iyoma immediately wiped her tears and got up to hug her friend. 'I appreciate sis, you and Bisi are all I have now' Iyoma said prompting a hiss from Ehi.

Iyoma chuckled and pulled away, Bisi was her man and Ehi had to learn to accept it.

'So back to my favor, could you please call Bisi for me please? He isn't taking my calls and replying my messages. Please help me phone him and beg him for me, you know he's somehow afraid of you and he listens to you' Iyoma pleaded.

Ehi sighed 'Fine, I'll call him but only after you show me proof that you're actually trying to apply for a job' Ehi said.

'Ahan Ehi you sef ehn' Iyoma pouted a little displeased.

'If truly I'm your last hope of reconciling with your boyfriend, then just better do something or forget it. I won't help you beg your precious Bisi' Ehi threatened.

'Okay okay, I'll work on my CV today and do some job hunting online' Iyoma promised.

Ehi smirked 'Oh you better or bye bye Bisi baby' she said causing both of them to have a good laugh. 'I have to go now, some of us have work to do' Ehi said picking up her tote bag.

'Alright have a good day, some of us also have work to do cleaning after and cooking for workaholics' Iyoma teased as Ehi left the room.

The minute she heard Ehi's car leave the building, she hurried to her room to start work on her curriculum vitae.

Operation get back her man just launched a new chapter.