Chapter Thirty {Part Three}

Flashback to the the night of
everything:
(Normani's point of view)
I watched everything with wide teary eyes, Mama yelling at Mila and baby sissy running out of the house. Lauren chasing after her and Camila throwing stuff everywhere.

I whimper and hold my stuffed elephant to my chest. I grab my blankie and run out of the living room. I want my Demi...

She lived just down the street from us...I could just run to her.

And that's exactly what I start to do. I start to run to my Aunties house crying cause my feet hurt and I was scared. It was dark out and I just wanted to be held.

I try to open the door but I just can't. I start to knock on the door and see Auntie open it. I run into her arms sobbing and she says "hey hey hey my little peanut what is going on"? I hold onto her shirt for dear life and she lifts me into her arms.

I start to cough from crying so hard and Auntie says "shhh, peanut take a deep breath for me".

"I-I can't"! I see Grandpa (Simon) out of the corner of my eye and Auntie says "Simon can you go get a bottle and fill it with warm milk"? He hurries to the kitchen and Auntie says "look at me little one". I look up and she instructs me to breath in through my nose and out through my mouth.

I start to cry again and burrow my head into the crook of her neck. My feet were burning and I could tell they were bleeding.

Demi continues to rock me back and forth and hum a song which doesn't stop me crying but calms me down enough to breath.

Simon walks in with a bottle and says "here you go little one". Demi turns me in her lap to a laying position and places the nipple of the bottle into my mouth. I start to suck on it and she says "such a good little girl. Now grandpas going to look at your feet, okay"?

I nod with a whimper and grab onto her finger with my hand. "it's bleeding a lot. I'm going to clean them real quick". Demi strokes my hair and starts to pat my bottom.

I feel myself start to cry again and she says "shhh, your safe right now baby girl. Safe with me and grandpa. It's okay my little peanut".

I continue to suckle on the bottle and after a while Grandpa finishes and my bottle is all gone. Auntie sits me into a straddling position into her lap and says "Can you tell us what happened my little peanut"?

"C-Cams got really mad at Ally cause apparently she gets all the attention and said she wishes she was never apart of da family and th-then mama got really mad and spanked Camila's bottom and Camila then threw a glass on da floor and scared Ally and she wan out of the house while mommy chased after her and then mama got weally weally mad they was fightin' and I got scared a-and came here" I say in almost one breath.

Auntie and Grandpa share a look and he says "how'd you get ouchies on your foot baby"? I rub my eyes and say "cause I was runnin' on the street wit not shoes or sockies and da road gave me owwies".

"That mean road" Grandpa says in baby voice. I giggle and Auntie places the pacifier hanging from my onesie into my mouth. I tug at my leggings to be taken off and Auntie gently pulls them off of me.

She starts to rub my back and soon my eyes become heavy and I fall asleep knowing i'm safe.

End of Flashback

That night Demi had laid her peanut in her bed and Simon and her talked. They could tell Normani was forcing herself to slip into a younger headspace to deal with this better, so of course they didn't want to further ask questions and that's why Simon tried to make the precious little girl giggle by getting mad at the road.