Chapter 15

"I got it guys! I got it! I got the ball guys! Right here! I got it!"

I looked to where the shouting was to see Scotty running in with a ball. Where did he get it from though?

Benny walked over to Scotty and he placed the ball in Benny's hand. I walked over noticing the red and sweaty Scotty. He was out of breath from running and he wiped his forehead with the back of his hand.

"I got it Benny"

"Bitchin', your ball, your ups. Here ya' go"

Benny handed Scott the bat he had in his hand

"Alright come on! Y/n, here"

He tossed me the ball and I caught it. I decided if Scott was going to bat then I had better throw it softer. I didn't want him to quit like so many other times. But then again I did it soft those times too... Oh well.

"Baaaatter up!"

Scott crouched into a batter position and he swung when I threw the ball. He missed and Ham caught it. He tapped the bat on the ground while Ham threw it back to me. Alright maybe I should slow it down?

I threw it again and I heard the crack of the ball and bat meeting. I gasped and then smiled, proud of Scotty. I watched the ball fly past Benny and he chased after it. That's when it went past the blue fence.

I ran over to Scott and patted his shoulder

"You got a Homer! Congrats, Bud"

"Oh no no no"

Benny turned away from the fence and walked towards us

"Yeah! Nice hit Smalls, nice hit!

He kept saying 'oh no' under his breath and my eyebrows furrowed in confusion

"Scott? What's wrong?"

He walked up to the blue fence and stared at it

"Smalls! You got a third base! Smalls?"

We all walked up to him. He turned around with a scared look on his face.

"We gotta get that ball back"

"Oh yeah! Real funny, Smalls"

"Yeah good one"

"Don't worry about it man we'll just get another ball"

"Yeah stop worrying, Bud"

"No you don't understand"

"Sure we do. You feel bad because you belted a homer and now we can't play no more"

"No you don't understand! That wasn't my ball!"

I was even more confused now

"Scotty. Whose ball was it?"

"What do you mean it wasn't your ball?"

"It was my step dad's"

My eyes widened at that

"It was Bill's?!"

"Yeah I stole it from his trophy room. It was a present or something somebody gave it to him b-but we gotta get it back, he's gonna kill me!"

"Wait the-..."

My mind thought about the signed Babe Ruth the Bill had in his trophy room

"Scotty! Why?! He's right we gotta get that ball back! I will not be blamed for this!"

"Listen to me guys. It's a matter of life and death. Where did your old man get that ball?"

"I don't know, some lady gave it to him. Why?"