Chapter 1

"Be quick. You know I get bored easily."

"Okay, okay, I'll be quick. What's so serious about playing cards anyway?"

"You're not here to play them with me, duh."

"Oh, whatever."

He smiled and got up from the floor to go and make his chocolate milk.

Scotty is so weird. I mean, make hot chocolate and put it in the freezer.

I was interested in why he wanted to talk to his stepdad, Bill. He seemed suspicious, but Scotty says he's just a regular old guy. I sure hope so.

After he left the room, I let curiosity get the best of me, and I slowly followed behind him towards Bill's trophy room.

When he knocked on the ajar door, I wasn't far behind him, so I forced myself to stay quiet.

"Yeah?"

"... Dad? I-I mean Bill. Do you remember you-you promised me you'd teach me how to play catch?"

"Mhm"

"W-well, can you teach me?"

"... Sure"

Silence filled the room, and neither said anything until Scott broke it.

"... Okay!"

"Okay"

"Thanks!"

More silence came, and I crept behind Scott to look into the doorway. Bill looked back at Scott, asking him if he was done talking to him without using his words. Scotty almost backed into me when Bill said nothing and started staring him down.

"S-Sorry"

I stood back so he didn't bump into me entirely, and he left the door slightly cracked. He looked back into the room through the door. I couldn't see what he was looking at, but he turned around and looked up at me, jumping backward. Some of his chocolate milk sloshed in the glass, almost dripping down his hand. I must've scared him because he looked terrified.

I burst into laughter at the look on his face while he furrowed his eyebrows and slapped my arm

We went back to his room. More like he stormed into his room, mad at me for scaring him and me half sincerely apologizing to him while laughing simultaneously.

"Don't do that ever again!"

"I said I was sorry!"

"Why are you still laughing!"

"Cause it's funny!"

"You know what, I'm not playing cards, no more."

"What! Don't be like that!"

"No, I'm going to sleep."

"But if you go to sleep, then I go to sleep, and that's not fun!"

"Oh well"

He jumped into his bed, making it bounce him up, and he was under the covers with his back turned to me.

"Scotty!"

He didn't answer me after that, and I sighed, defeated. I walked over to the other side of the bed and pulled the covers down. I laid down next to Scotty, and he had his eyes closed.

"Scott, get up!"

I listened to his breathing, and it was even. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell asleep this early. He always goes to sleep super quickly.

I sighed heavier, thoroughly defeated now that he was sleeping. I turn my back to him and close my eyes, letting my sleep take hold of me.