Chapter 8

"Come on give it to me!"

"Come on I paid for it, I wanna hold it!"

Squints walked with the newly bought ball in his hand down the sidewalk blocking Yeah-Yeah from the ball. Then he paused and Yeah-Yeah took it from him.

He was staring at someone and I looked in front of him to see a girl with long blonde hair and a blue dress. I wasn't seeing much in her but that's just me. I think her name was Wendy Peffercorn or something like that.

She briefly looked back at Squints with a seductive grin on her face before moving on. Yeah-yeah started staring too when she passed by but shook his head.

"Guys, hello! Stop staring at her, we should be going to the Sandlot!"

"O-oh right"

"Oh come on, no! Yeah-Yeah I know you wanna stay too!"

"Actually I have my eyes on someone else, now come on"

Yeah-Yeah looked up at me grinning. He's been trying to make moves on me recently but I try to tell him I don't like him like that, but nothing seems to get through to him.

Yeah-Yeah tried to grab Squints but he started to pull back to look the other way again. They kept pushing and pulling each other down the familiar sidewalk towards the Sandlot. Yeah-Yeah looked up at me for assistance but I just smiled and walked right by them. I heard a low groan before he started telling Squints to hurry up again.

We eventually reached the Sandlot and at this point Squints gave up on trying to see Wendy again which caused him to go slower. I started to get tired of the groaning, and the constant questioning for help. I finally decided to help Yeah-Yeah, and by help, I mean kicking Squints in the shins and threatening him.

We all walked over towards the benches and Benny approached me

"Where have you guys been? We've been waiting here forever already"

"Squints was pervin' a dish"

"Shut up Y/N, I wasn't"

Yeah-Yeah cut me off right after I opened my mouth

"Yeah yeah, you were! Your tongue was hanging out of your head, and you were swooning! Oh Wendy Peffercorn, my darling lover girl oh!"

"I said shut up! I got a lot of things on my mind. Besides I don't say anything when you flirt at Pretty boy"

I paused and looked over at them. Yeah-Yeah locked eyes with me but looked away immediately after. Benny breathed out heavily and turned his back.

"I um..."

I blushed and Squints laughed. He walked over to the shaded benches, with me behind him with my head down.

"I don't blame him you are cute"

I turned my head to Ham and he smirked. I rolled my eyes at the sudden gestures and looked over at Benny. He was glaring dead at Ham. Then tension was high from Benny and it was getting hotter by the minute.

The benches didn't help much since the heat was everywhere. Ham stood up, very sweaty, right after Yeah-Yeah slipped past Benny and sat down. He walked over to Benny breathing heavily.

"This pop isn't working Benny. I'm baking like a toasted cheeser, it's so hot here!"

"It's 150 degrees out there, you can't play baseball! We have to call it for the day!"

I stood back up and walked away from the shade next to Benny. He rolled his eyes at the complaints and his fist clutches. Nobody said anything and Benny stayed silent.

I guess the complaining pissed him off because he was glaring daggers at everyone. Finally, they all looked back at me.

"Y/N, you can call it off. Please it's way too hot"

"I can?"

"Yeah your like the... The queen and Benny's the king"

"... Ignoring that. It's not THAT hot. We can vote, if you don't want to play baseball raise your hand"

I was the only one apart from Benny that didn't raise their hand. They started to agree around the group that it was 'Way too hot' and I sighed.

"Fine, fine. Then what do you guys want to do?"

They all looked at me then started giggling until they screamed

"Scam pool honey!"

I rolled my eyes at the stupidity but somehow a smile made its way into my face

I looked over to Benny and his arms were crossed. He looked over at me and his expression softened.

"Guys go ahead"

They got up and started to walk out of the Sandlot. Scott came and stood next to me.

"Hey go walk with Ham I'll catch up"

He looked confused but ran off anyway

I looked back at Benny and he was fully turned toward me

"What's your problem?"

He shook his head while it hung low. I walked up to him and he looked back up.

"Obviously there is something wrong"

He gave me some kind of look that made me want to hug him. Is that weird? I don't care.

"Well, you were pretty mad at Squints and Ham so-... Are you jealous?"

"What I- what would I be jealous about?"

"No one is mad for no reason Benny"

He shifted his eyes away from mine and his face dusted with pink.

"I wouldn't worry about it. I have my eyes on someone anyway"

I smirked and walked away. I knew he understood what I was saying but I didn't turn around to see his reaction. I ran out of the Sandlot with Benny close behind me.