Chapter 14

I followed after Scott as his mother opened the front door. I saw Bill putting suitcases and bags into the car truck.

"Y/n, Scotty I'll be back in an hour. I'm going to take Bill to the airport"

"Alright"

"Oh okay"

She paused and analyzed Scotty. She then put her hand on his face with a concerned look on hers.

"Honey, are you alright, you look kind of pale?"

"I'm fine, mom"

"You sure?"

"Yeah"

"...Alright"

She walked towards the car and went around to the passenger side. If only she knew what happened. Bill stood up and closed the car trunk.

"Listen. While I'm gone Y/n, you're the man of the house. Scott listen to him, understand?"

I smirked at my new authority but nodded when he started walking towards the driver's door

"Okay. Where are you going?"

"Chicago. Got business for a week. We'll take another stab at catch when I get back alright?"

"Yeah I guess"

"You guys take care of things for me alright?"

"Got it"

"Okay"

He opened the car door and got into it. The car engine started and they drove away.

"Alright now that they're gone let's go see ben- the guys… at the sandlot"

He looked up at me and shook his head

"Your whipped"

He walked off in the direction we usually go to get to the sandlot

"Where did you even learn that from?"

"Mom's magazine"

I sighed. Of course.

-

After the few days on their high the guys finally settled back down. They also told me they wouldn't be doing any more of the hard stuff which gave me a chance to give out a lot of 'i told so's. We had just gotten a new ball from the drug store around the corner from the sandlot.

Benny and I have been a lot closer since a few days ago. After our confession it's like we've been hanging off of each other. 

Wherever I went he followed and vice versa. I liked the increased light feeling he gives me when he's around. The only time we aren't more than 5 five feet apart is when we are home or when we play ball and I'm pitching.

Speaking of which, after buying the new ball, we all made our way to the sandlot. I stood on where a pitcher's mound would be and I held the ball in my hand, winding my arm back.

Benny spun the bat and crouched getting ready for me to throw the ball. He winked and I blushed. I tightened my grip on the ball and threw it.

Benny hit it and a loud crack sound came from his bat and the ball colliding. The ball flew but I noticed something that fell from it.

I went to check it out and saw that it was the skin of the baseball. The guys joined me and surrounded the shedded skin.

"I don't believe it"

"Bitchin'"

"Nah, it ain't"

"Come on Benny man, only two or three guys in history have ever busted the guts out of a ball. It must be an omen"

I raised my eyebrow

"An omen?"

"Yeah yeah, an omen"

"Alls it means is that we can't play no more. It's only 12 o'clock and I just ruined the whole day for us"

I rolled my eyes at him

"No you didn't. That's one of the most amazing things I've ever saw"

They all agreed with me with 'yeah's

"Anyone got any money?"

"Nope"

"No"

"Well then it ain't okay cause we can't play no more"

"Yeah we can"

I looked at Scott in confusion

"We can?"

"Yeah, what, you got ninety-eight extra cents laying around at home, Smalls?"

"No, but I got a ball"

The guys started yelling at him to go get it while I stood there in more confusion. What ball did he have? Cause I don't know about it. 

He ran out of the sandlot and I looked after him

"What ball!?"

I guess he didn't hear me because he didn't turn back or stop. Benny's arm wrapped around my shoulder and he gave me a quick kiss and a smile. I smiled back and he guided us both towards the benches.

What ball was Scotty talking about?

Hi lovelies. Sorry for the delay. Hope you enjoyed this one.