Chapter 11

“Come on Squints! Pass it, come on!”

Benny was running between third base and home, avoiding getting tagged. I watched from my pitching position seeing Benny go back and forth. He finally passed Ham and everyone groaned. I cheered for him and he grinned back at me.

“Oh no!”

I turned around to see 8 guys on bikes coming into the Sandlot. Oh shit… it's Phillips.

The others looked annoyed and walked over towards them. Once they got off their bikes it started to look like one of those cowboy showdowns in those old movies. I stood next to Ham in front of everyone and the guys on the other side were staring at me specifically.

“Yeah it’s easy playing with a bunch of rejects and a fat kid, Rodriguez. Not to mention my boyfriend. You wouldn't want him to break a nail”

See me and Phillips used to date just a while ago. Don't get me wrong, it was more of an on and off thing. He was a great guy when it was just me and him alone but when it came to his friends he was just a douchebag.

*Flashback*

I flopped down onto the clean benches, sighing for at least the fifth time now

"Philly! Let me play!"

"Babe I promise, just one more game and you can play"

At that point I was being dead serious

"You said that the last two games! I think it's about time I play!"

"Y/n you can play later!"

"Fine, be that way"

I stood up and walked right past the group of boys

"Come on baby, don't be like that!"

"Oh I'm being like that"

I walked out of the field hearing one last thing from Phillips

"Fine! Don't expect us to get together again!"

"I won't! We're already done!"

I continued to walk but faster. His yelling got muffled the further I got until I couldn't hear him at all

I made my way towards the Sandlot, knowing Scott would be there. When I entered the field I walked over to Scott on the far side, off of the field.

"Hey Y/n. They just made the best maneuver ever!"

I immediately put on a smile and nodded to everything he said. I wasn't listening but I wasn't thinking about anything either. I kind of just stared off into space, subconsciously nodding now and then.

"Y/n! Watch out!"

I looked up and saw a ball soaring at me. Without really thinking about it, I caught the ball and threw it back onto the field. A boy who I think is named Hamilton or something caught it.

"Whoa… Since when do you catch and throw like that! I always thought that you were… kind of…"

"I get it. You didn't think I could play. That's fine"

He nodded and continued to watch the boys go back and forth with the ball. I thought back to Phillips and how many times we had that conversation. Him saying I could play the next game and me just sitting out for the rest of the day, only for him to walk me back to Scott's house and kiss me on my cheek like nothing was wrong. Prince charming my ass, Disney can go fuck themselves.