Chapter 5

I straightened out my dress as I walked into the dinning room. It was a different one than earlier, and I was amazed at how equally exquisite it looked compared to the last one.

Once Max walked me to my room - across from his so it's not like he had a choice - I got quite the scolding because I was still dripping water.

It seemed I was a bit late because I was caught up in a book at the library. I saw the king, queen, Max, and Bella all already seated; watching me enter. I immediately hurried over to my seat and bowed before I sat.

"Please forgive my timing, I got sidetracked by a beautiful book at the library." I said, than sat in my seat.

"Oh, it's all right. Try to be on time for now though," said the king. He clapped twice, and a couple servants came out and began to serve everyone.

I looked across me to see Max smiling slightly at me. I felt a blush about to come on, but I tried to stay as normal as possible. I glanced to Isabella next to him, and next to the King, and saw her admiring him, and scoot her chair closer to him. I raised my eyebrows and shook my head smiling.

"So Alyssa, what do you think about the palace," the queen asked from next to me; next to her at the head of the table sat the king also awaiting my answer.

"Oh, I think it's gorgeous. I knew it was going to be beautiful, but this is beyond my expectations." I said.

"So are you," a voice said from across the table. The three of us looked over at Max who was looking down at his plate, smiling, and eating. My face flamed up as the King and the Queen laughed. Isabella looked upset and didn't look up at me.

"You don't have to say that," I said, while nervously laughing. Suddenly Max looked up and made direct eye contact with his beep blue eyes, and sent me an adorable smile.

"I know, but I really wanted to," it was as if I was in a trance, and the two of us sat there looking into each other's eyes until Isabella coughed and scooted closer to Max again. Suddenly I looked down at my food, trying to hide my face in embarrassment. I was sitting right in front of his parents!!!!!

"For the rest of dinner, I tried to stay out of the conversation as much as I could, and made sure not to look at Max.

"Well, that was a nice dinner, but work is waiting for me. I'll look forward to breakfast young ladies. Come along Max, I have to speak with you about some things.

Max looked up surprised and stood.

"Alright. Well, excuse me as well." with that, father and son left the dinning room.

"Come on girls, I would like to speak with the two of you as well. Individually though. Follow me." she stood up and walked off. Isabella got up and began following her. We walked down about two halls before a door was opened for us and we entered a lounge area. From there, there was an additional small room that she walked into. e

"I would like to speak to Isabella first." she said, her and Isabella disappeared into the room and the door closed. That left me alone in the lounge room all by myself. I walked around and peeked out the windows. I saw a beautiful forest behind the palace. Above the trees, you can still see traces of color left behind from the sunset.

I smiled at the sight, and wondered what Isabella and Max were being talked to about.

~~~~

"So, it seems as if you have grown very fond of Lady Alyssa," the King said to Maximum. He looked over to see his son smiling.

"Yeah, and truth is Father, I don't really know why. It's been two days and I know who I'm going to pick." said the young prince.

"Well, before you say that, you know you have to give both girls the same chance. So try being even with poor Isabella. If you spend time with Alyssa, it's only fair if you spend time with Isabella as well. No favorites yet." Max nodded at his father's words.

"Alright. Father, I've been thinking about it, and would it not be better to not do these kinds of things between families? This can tear apart a family if it goes wrong, shouldn't it be done between a couple elected girls instead?" Max asked, and the King smiled at Max's words.

"Keep that in mind for when you are King one day." the king said, and walked off.

~~~~

"Isabella, I wanted to have a small meeting with you two young Ladies to see how things here these past two days have been going. Tell me what you think, about here, and about Maximum."

"Well Queen, I love everything here. I love Max as well, it's only fair for two practically perfect people to be together." she said. The queen coughed and slightly raised her eyebrows.

"Well, what if my son chooses Alyssa? What would you do then?" the Queen asked.

"That won't happen. Alyssa doesn't even want to be here. She said she didn't want to end up with a stuck up and snobby prince for the rest of her life. Plus, I called dibs on Maximum a long time ago, so she has to respect the dibs and save him for me." Isabella said. "It's what a good sister would do."

Silence and shock came over the queen at the way Isabela was speaking, but didn't say anything of it.

"Well, that's great. If you don't mind, please call in Alyssa, you are free to leave and do as you like for the rest of the day." Isabella got up and walked out the room.

~~~~

I was startled by the sound of the door opening and Isabella came out of the room.

"The queen is ready for you, Alyssa." she said, and left the lounge.

I walked into the room and shut the door behind me. Thinking I was going to be scolded.

"Come in, Alyssa." The queen said, looking majestic in her seat.

I prepared for the worst.